The Memorial Cup trophy
The Memorial Cup trophy

The 1937 Memorial Cup final was the 19th junior ice hockey championship of the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association (CAHA). The George Richardson Memorial Trophy champions Copper Cliff Redmen of the Northern Ontario Hockey Association in Eastern Canada competed against the Abbott Cup champions Winnipeg Monarchs of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League in Western Canada. This was the first Memorial Cup series to feature a best-of-five format. The games were held at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Ontario, Winnipeg won their second Memorial Cup, defeating Copper Cliff three games to one.

Path to the final

The Winnipeg Monarchs defeated the Saskatoon Wesleys 5-2,[1] 5-6,[2] and 6-1 in a best-of-three series.[3] The Copper Cliff Redmen defeated the Ottawa Rideaus in a two-game series to advance to the Memorial Cup Final in Toronto.[4]

Copper Cliff vs. Winnipeg

For Winnipeg, it was their third appearance in the final in five years. The Monarchs lost the 1932 final to the Sudbury Wolves and defeated the Sudbury Wolves in the 1935 final. The referees would be future National Hockey League (NHL) president Clarence Campbell and former NHL player Babe Dye.[5]

In game one, the Redmen were down 3-0 with three minutes to play, but scored three to send the game to overtime. The Redmen won the game after ten minutes of overtime on a goal by Red Hamill while the Redmen were short-handed.[6]

Described as "80 minutes of gruelling hockey", the second game saw the Monarchs prevail 6-5 over the Redmen to even the series. The Redmen took a two-goal lead into the second period, but owing to a string of penalties, the Monarchs scored three to take the lead. The Redmen scored to tie the game entering the third period. The Redmen scored and tried to hang on, but the Monarchs pressed the play and tied the score to send it to overtime. The first overtime of ten minutes passed without a goal, and the Redmen scored in the first minute of the second overtime. The Monarch then scored two to win the game.[7]

In the third game, the Monarchs defeated the Redmen 2-1 to take a two games to one lead in the series. Winnipeg scored first in the first period, and the Redmen scored in the second to tie the score. The Monarchs then struck back to take the lead on a goal by Alfie Pike. The Monarchs then held off the Redmen the rest of the way.[8]

In the fourth game, Winnipeg came out and dominated the Redmen and won the game 7-0 to take the series. Johnny McCready scored four goals for the Monarchs, which held the edge in speed over the heavier Redmen. 12,000 attended the game.[9]

Date Score Notes
1 April 10 Copper Cliff 4-3 Winnipeg 10' OT[6]
2 April 12 Winnipeg 6-5 Copper Cliff 20' OT[7]
3 April 14 Winnipeg 2-1 Copper Cliff [8]
4 April 17 Winnipeg 7-0 Copper Cliff [9]

The Memorial Cup was presented to the Monarchs by CAHA past-president E. A. Gilroy, who had also presented the trophy to the Monarchs in their 1935 Memorial Cup victory.[10]

Winning roster

Jack Atcheson, Ami Clement, Ted Dent, Zenon Ferley, Jack Fox, Dick Kowcinak, Pete Langelle, Lucien Martel, Johnny McCready, A. Peletier, Alf Pike, Paul Rheault, Denny Robinson, Remi Vandaele. Coach: Harry Neil

Source: Toronto Daily Star[11]

International playoffs

The Canadian Amateur Hockey Association (CAHA) arranged an international tournament aimed to determine a world's amateur champion, in direct conflict with the actual 1937 Ice Hockey World Championships.[12] The CAHA tournament was hosted at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, and invited the champions of the 1937 Allan Cup (Sudbury Tigers), the Memorial Cup (Winnipeg Monarchs), the Eastern Amateur Hockey League (Hershey Bears) and the English National League (Wembley Lions).[12]

The schedule for the competition was a six-game double round-robin tournament from April 17 to 24, followed by a best-of-three game final series between the top two teams.[13] CAHA representative W. A. Hewitt announced the shortening of the series due to poor attendance. The game between Hershey and Winnipeg was cancelled as both teams went home early, with the tournament being completed by a best-of-three series between Sudbury and Wembley,[14] which Sudbury won on a sudden death overtime goal in the third game.[15]


  1. ^ "Winnipeg Monarchs Advance in Junior Playdowns". Toronto Daily Star. April 2, 1937. p. 13.
  2. ^ "Stirring Comeback". Toronto Daily Star. April 5, 1937. p. 8.
  3. ^ "Monarchs Qualify For Title Round". Toronto Daily Star. April 6, 1937. p. 9.
  4. ^ "North Country Dominates Amateur Hockey Picture". Toronto Daily Star. April 5, 1937. p. 8.
  5. ^ "Play-off Data For Amateur Finals". Toronto Daily Star. April 6, 1937. p. 10.
  6. ^ a b "Ol' Lady Luck Plays A Big Part In Northerners' Win". Toronto Daily Star. April 12, 1937. p. 12.
  7. ^ a b Burnett, Red (April 13, 1937). "Copper Cliffs' Long Victory String is Finally Snapped". Toronto Daily Star. p. 10.
  8. ^ a b Burnett, Red (April 15, 1937). "'Peg Monarch Only Sixty Minutes Away From Title". Toronto Daily Star. p. 16.
  9. ^ a b "Monarchs In Name Ditto Fame are 'Peg Speed Boys". Toronto Daily Star. April 19, 1937. p. 12.
  10. ^ Buss, Johnny (May 7, 1937). "An Earful". Winnipeg Tribune. Winnipeg, Manitoba. p. 29.icon of an open green padlock
  11. ^ "Western Cup Contenders Arrive In Toronto To-morrow". Toronto Daily Star. April 8, 1937. p. 12.
  12. ^ a b "World Title Hockey Teams Play at Toronto in April". The Winnipeg Tribune. February 23, 1937. p. 12.
  13. ^ "Schedule Of Round Robin For World's Amateur Title". Medicine Hat News. The Canadian Press. April 19, 1937. p. 3.
  14. ^ "Wembley, Sudbury Will Play Series For World's Title". Winnipeg Free Press. April 22, 1937. p. 18.
  15. ^ "Overtime Goal Wins For Tigers". The Winnipeg Tribune. April 27, 1937. p. 16.