1970 Stanley Cup Finals
Bobby Orr of the Bruins airborne after scoring the Cup-winning goal in overtime of game four; behind him is Noel Picard of the Blues
1234 Total
St. Louis Blues 1213* 0
Boston Bruins 6644* 4
* indicates periods of overtime
Location(s)St. Louis: St. Louis Arena (1, 2)
Boston: Boston Garden (3, 4)
CoachesSt. Louis: Scotty Bowman
Boston: Harry Sinden
CaptainsSt. Louis: Al Arbour
Boston: Vacant
DatesMay 3 – May 10
MVPBobby Orr (Bruins)
Series-winning goalBobby Orr (0:40, OT, G4)

The 1970 Stanley Cup Finals was the championship series of the National Hockey League's (NHL) 1969–70 season, and the culmination of the 1970 Stanley Cup playoffs. It was a contest between the Boston Bruins and the St. Louis Blues, who appeared in their third consecutive finals series. The Bruins were making their first appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals since 1958. The Bruins won the series, four games to none. It was Boston's first Stanley Cup victory in 29 years. Bobby Orr scored the Cup-winning goal on Mother's Day against St. Louis' veteran Hall of Fame goalie Glenn Hall, with an assist from close friend and teammate "The Turk" Derek Sanderson, at forty seconds of overtime. The subsequent image of Orr flying through the air, his arms stretched out in victory — (he had been tripped by Blues' defenseman Noel Picard immediately after scoring the goal) — is considered the most famous and recognized hockey image of all time. With the win, the Bruins became the first American team to win the Stanley Cup since the Chicago Blackhawks in 1961. The Blues, who had gone to the Finals their first three years in the league, would eventually lose each of the three series in four-game sweeps. St. Louis would not appear in a Stanley Cup Finals again until 2019, ending the second longest Finals drought in league history.

Paths to the Finals

Boston defeated the New York Rangers 4–2 and the Chicago Black Hawks 4–0 to advance to the Finals.

St. Louis defeated the Minnesota North Stars 4–2 and the Pittsburgh Penguins 4–2.

Game summaries

The Boston Bruins tied for first in the East Division with the Chicago Blackhawks with 99 points. The Bruins lost the tiebreaker of wins with 40 to Chicago's 45. The St. Louis Blues finished first in the West Division with 86 points. This was the first playoff meeting between these two teams. In this year's regular-season series, there were three wins for Boston, one for St. Louis and two ties.

At 3:57 of the second period of game one, a hard shot from Fred Stanfield was deflected and struck Jacques Plante in the forehead of his face mask, splitting the mask in half and injuring Plante.[1] Plante was finished for the series. Doctors later said if he hadn't been wearing the mask, he surely would have been killed. Ernie Wakely took over in goal but only held off the Bruins for a few minutes before becoming a rather easy mark for Bruins sharpshooters.

May 3 Boston Bruins 6–1 St. Louis Blues St. Louis Arena Recap  
Johnny Bucyk (6) - 19:45 First period No scoring
Johnny Bucyk (7) - 5:16 Second period 1:52 - Jimmy Roberts (2)
Wayne Carleton (2) - 4:59
Johnny Bucyk (8) - 5:31
Derek Sanderson (3) - sh - 17:20
Phil Esposito (12) - 18:58
Third period No scoring
Gerry Cheevers Goalie stats Jacques Plante, Ernie Wakely
May 5 Boston Bruins 6–2 St. Louis Blues St. Louis Arena Recap  
Fred Stanfield (4) - pp - 8:10
Ed Westfall (2) - 13:38
Ed Westfall (3) - sh - 19:15
First period No scoring
Derek Sanderson (4) - pp - 9:37 Second period 17:26 - pp - Terry Gray (2)
Derek Sanderson (5) - 00:58
Johnny Bucyk (9) - 15:00
Third period 4:15 - pp - Frank St. Marseille (5)
Gerry Cheevers Goalie stats Ernie Wakely
May 7 St. Louis Blues 1–4 Boston Bruins Boston Garden Recap  
Frank St. Marseille (6) - pp - 5:32 First period 13:23 - pp - Johnny Bucyk (10)
18:23 - John McKenzie (5)
No scoring Second period No scoring
No scoring Third period 3:26 - Wayne Cashman (4)
14:26 - Wayne Cashman (5)
Glenn Hall Goalie stats Gerry Cheevers
May 10 St. Louis Blues 3–4 OT Boston Bruins Boston Garden Recap  
Red Berenson (7) - 19:17 First period 5:28 - Rick Smith (1)
Gary Sabourin (5) - 3:22 Second period 14:22 - Phil Esposito (13)
Larry Keenan (7) - pp - 00:19 Third period 13:28 - Johnny Bucyk (11)
No scoring First overtime period 00:40 - Bobby Orr (9)
Glenn Hall Goalie stats Gerry Cheevers
Boston won series 4–0


Bobby Orr... behind the net to Sanderson to ORR! BOBBY ORR! ...scores and the Boston Bruins have won the Stanley Cup!

— Dan Kelly calling Orr's Stanley Cup winning goal

"The Flight"

The most commonly seen video clip of Bobby Orr's famous overtime goal ("The Flight") in game four is the American version broadcast on CBS as called by Dan Kelly. This archival clip can be considered a rarity, since surviving kinescopes or videotapes of the telecasts of hockey games from this era usually emanate from CBC's coverage. According to Dick Irvin Jr.'s book My 26 Stanley Cups (Irvin was in the CBC booth with Danny Gallivan during the 1970 Stanley Cup Finals), he was always curious why even the CBC typically uses the CBS replay of the Bobby Orr goal (with Dan Kelly's commentary) instead of Gallivan's call. The explanation that Irvin received was that the CBC's master tape of the game (along with others) was thrown away in order to clear shelf space at the network.[citation needed]

The New England Sports Network has played the CBS video of the goal but has used the original WBZ-FM radio call with Fred Cusick and Johnny Peirson.[citation needed]

Stanley Cup engraving

The 1970 Stanley Cup was presented to Bruins alternate captain Johnny Bucyk by NHL President Clarence Campbell following the Bruins 4–3 overtime win over the Blues in game four.

The following Bruins players and staff had their names engraved on the Stanley Cup

1970 Boston Bruins



Coaching and administrative staff

Stanley Cup engravings

See also


  1. ^ Gretz, Adam (May 26, 2019). "PHT Time Machine: Top 1970 Cup Final moments beyond the Orr goal". NBCSports.com. NBC Sports. Retrieved June 3, 2019.

Further reading

Preceded by
Montreal Canadiens
Boston Bruins
Stanley Cup Champions

Succeeded by
Montreal Canadiens