1986 VFL Grand Final
Carlton 2018 AFL.png

AFL Hawthorn Icon.jpg

9.14 (68) 16.14 (110)
1 2 3 4
CAR 1.5 (11) 4.11 (35) 6.13 (49) 9.14 (68)
HAW 5.6 (36) 8.8 (56) 15.9 (99) 16.14 (110)
Date27 September 1986
StadiumMelbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne, Australia
National anthemOlivia Newton-John
Norm Smith MedallistGary Ayres Hawthorn
Broadcast in Australia
NetworkSeven Network
← 1985 VFL Grand Final 1987 →

The 1986 VFL Grand Final was an Australian rules football game contested between the Hawthorn Football Club and the Carlton Football Club. The game was played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) in Melbourne on 27 September 1986. It was the 90th annual grand final of the Victorian Football League (VFL), staged to determine the premiers for the 1986 VFL season. The match, attended by 101,861 spectators, was won by Hawthorn by a margin of 42 points, marking that club's sixth premiership victory.


Main article: 1986 VFL season

Hawthorn were playing their fourth successive grand final and had lost the last two, while Carlton were appearing in their first premiership decider since winning the 1982 VFL Grand Final. At the conclusion of the home and away season, Hawthorn had finished first on the VFL ladder with 18 wins and 4 losses. Carlton had finished third (behind Sydney) with 15 wins and 7 losses.

In the finals series in the lead-up to the game, Carlton defeated Sydney in the qualifying final before meeting the Hawks in the second semi-final, which the Blues won by 28 points to advance to the grand final. Hawthorn, after this loss, convincingly defeated Fitzroy by 56 points in the preliminary final to advance to the grand final. Hawthorn entered the game as slight favourites despite their defeat to the Blues in the second semi-final.

Hawks player Robert DiPierdomenico won the Brownlow Medal in the week leading up to the game. Meanwhile, the Blues were looking to give Bruce Doull, who was retiring after the game, a winning finish to his 18-season career.

Match summary

Team 1 2 3 Final
Hawthorn 5.6 8.8 15.9 16.14 (110)
Carlton 1.5 4.11 6.13 9.14 (68)

The Hawks jumped out of the blocks early and by early in the second quarter led by 37 points. A seven-goal burst by the Hawks in the third quarter sealed their win. In the final quarter Hawthorn kicked only one goal but by then the contest was effectively over. Hawthorn's Jason Dunstall, who was in just his second VFL season, kicked six goals to help the Hawks to victory, while Gary Buckenara kicked four goals for the Hawks, all of them in the first half of the game.

The Norm Smith Medal was awarded to Hawthorn defender Gary Ayres for being judged the best player afield. Ayres was playing on Carlton wingman David Rhys-Jones, who had been a match-winner against Hawthorn in the second semi-final. Ayres, playing on the wing for the first time in five years, nullified Rhys-Jones and set up many attacking moves for the Hawks.


B: 7 Gary Ayres 28 Chris Langford 29 Russell Greene
HB: 15 Russell Morris 2 Chris Mew 30 Peter Schwab
C: 9 Robert DiPierdomenico 16 Terry Wallace 26 Rodney Eade
HF: 11 Gary Buckenara 23 Dermott Brereton 34 John Kennedy
F: 25 Peter Curran 19 Jason Dunstall 44 John Platten
Foll: 14 Greg Dear 17 Michael Tuck (c) 22 Richard Loveridge
Int: 39 Paul Abbott 4 Peter Russo
Coach: Allan Jeans
B: 37 Wayne Harmes 11 Bruce Doull 35 Peter Dean
HB: 27 Des English 6 Jon Dorotich 2 Peter Motley
C: 26 David Rhys-Jones 21 Craig Bradley 8 Wayne Blackwell
HF: 7 Wayne Johnston 4 Stephen Kernahan 23 Paul Meldrum
F: 15 Bernie Evans 9 Ken Hunter 36 Mark Maclure (c)
Foll: 44 Justin Madden 31 Tom Alvin 32 David Glascott
Int: 45 Warren McKenzie 38 Shane Robertson
Coach: Robert Walls



  • Dunstall 6
  • Buckenara 4
  • Brereton 3
  • Ayres 1
  • Curran 1
  • Russo 1


  • Meldrum 3
  • Kernahan 2
  • Evans 1
  • Glascott 1
  • McKenzie 1
  • Rhys-Jones 1


See also