Indian civil servants includes five principal sub-categories of officials:
- Administrators in India in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.
- Administrators of British India who came as servants of the English East India Company before the formation of the ICS in 1853.
- Members of the former ICS as well as the superior central and nationalised services in British India, who joined the civil service after 1853. Dewans of the former Indian Princely States are also included here.
- Members of the present IAS, IFS, IRS, IFS, IPS and the other Central Civil Services of the Union Government.
- Technocrats and Academic Administrators who have held official positions of the Government of India and the respective state governments of the Indian Union.
For lists of civil servants of respective cadres also see: