Genus of plants in the conifer family Pinaceae
Cypress is a common name for various coniferous trees or shrubs of northern temperate regions that belong to the family Cupressaceae. The word cypress is derived from Old French cipres, which was imported from Latin cypressus, the latinisation of the Greek κυπάρισσος (kyparissos).
Cypress trees are a large classification of conifers, encompassing the trees and shrubs from the cypress family (Cupressaceae) and many others with the word “cypress” in their common name. Many cypress trees have needle-like, evergreen foliage and acorn-like seed cones.
Species that are commonly known as cypresses include:
- Cypress (multiple species within the genus Cupressus)
- African cypress (Widdringtonia species), native to Southern Africa
- Bald, Pond, and Montezuma cypresses (Taxodium species), native to North America
- Chinese swamp cypress (Glyptostrobus pensilis), Vietnam, critically endangered
- Cordilleran cypress (Austrocedrus chilensis), native to Chile and Argentina
- Cypress-pines (Actinostrobus species), southwestern Australia
- Cypress-pines (Callitris species), Australia and New Caledonia
- False cypress (Chamaecyparis species), Asia and North America.
- Fujian cypress (Fokienia hodginsii), southeastern China
- Guaitecas cypress (Pilgerodendron uviferum), western Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego
- Japanese cypress (Chamaecyparis obtusa), East Asia
- Patagonian cypress (Fitzroya cupressoides), southern Chile and Argentina
- Mediterranean cypress (Cupressus sempervirens), famous for its longevity, popular garden plant
- Monterey cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa), native to the Monterey Peninsula, California
- Nootka cypress (Cupressus nootkatensis), native to the Pacific Northwest of North America
- Siberian cypress (Microbiota decussata)
- Summer cypress (Bassia scoparia), in the family Amaranthaceae
- Western red cedar (Thuja plicata), native to North America.
The family Cupressaceae also contains 13–16 other genera (not listed above) that do not bear cypress in their common names.
Plants named cypress