IAd Logo.png
Product typeMobile advertising
OwnerApple Inc.
CountryUnited States
IntroducedJuly 1, 2010
DiscontinuedJune 30, 2016

iAd is a discontinued mobile advertising platform developed by Apple Inc. for its iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad line of mobile devices allowing third-party developers to directly embed advertisements into their applications.[1][2] iAd is part of Apple's iOS 4. Announced on April 8, 2010, and originally slated for release on June 21, 2010, the actual date was changed to July 1, 2010. iAd was announced at Apple's June 7, 2010 keynote, with an iPad version appearing in the fall. Hosted and sold by Apple,[3] the iAd platform was expected to compete with Google's AdMob mobile advertising service.[4]

Similar to AdMob, iAd facilitates integrating advertisements into applications sold on the iOS App Store.[5] If the user tapped on an iAd banner, a full-screen advertisement appeared within the application, unlike other ads that would send the user into the Safari web browser. Ads were promised to be more interactive than on other advertising services, and users were able to close them at any time, returning to where they left their app. Former Apple CEO Steve Jobs initially indicated that Apple would retain 40% of the ad revenue, in line with what he called "industry standard", with the other 60% going to the developers.[6] The amount paid to developers was later increased to 70%. iAd was expected to benefit free applications as well.[7] The iAd App Network was discontinued as of June 30, 2016.[8] Since then the technology lives on in both Apple News Advertising and App Store Search Ads.[9]



  1. ^ Nicholas, Kolakowski. "Apple iPhone OS 4 Offers Multitasking, iAd". eWeek. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
  2. ^ "Apple's Apps Plus iAd Account For 8% Of Stock Price « Forbes.com's Great Speculations". Blogs.forbes.com. April 20, 2010. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
  3. ^ "Apple Unveils iAd Platform; iPad Sales Look Strong - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. April 8, 2010. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
  4. ^ Ulanoff, Lance (April 12, 2010). "Apple iAd Platform: A Case of the Rich Getting Richer | Lance Ulanoff". PCMag.com. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
  5. ^ Krazit, Tom (April 8, 2010). "Apple strikes back at Google with iAd | Relevant Results - CNET News". News.cnet.com. Archived from the original on April 11, 2010. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
  6. ^ "What's new in iPhone OS 4". Apple Inc. Retrieved April 22, 2010.
  7. ^ Foresman, Chris (April 8, 2010). "Multitasking (finally), iAd, and more coming in iOS 4.0". Arstechnica.com. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
  8. ^ "iAd App Network will be Discontinued - News and Updates - Apple Developer". January 16, 2016. Archived from the original on January 16, 2016.
  9. ^ "Iphone Gratuit". Retrieved November 19, 2015.
  10. ^ "Apple's iAd drops minimum spend to $50 in bid to win over developers". Mobile Marketer.
  11. ^ Inc., Apple. "News - Apple Developer". developer.apple.com.
  12. ^ Heine, Christopher (June 30, 2016). "As iAd Shuts Down, Apple May Be About to Get a Shot of Advertising Redemption". adweek.com. Adweek. Retrieved July 7, 2016.