This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. Please help to improve this article by introducing more precise citations. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)

Jack Wells
Jack Wells (1).jpg
Personal information
Full name John Wells
Nickname(s) Balla
Date of birth (1883-01-04)4 January 1883
Place of birth Stawell, Victoria
Date of death 17 December 1966(1966-12-17) (aged 83)
Place of death Fitzroy, Victoria
Original team(s) Guildford (WAFA Juniors)
Height 177 cm (5 ft 10 in)
Weight 89 kg (196 lb)
Position(s) Full-forward, centre, ruckman
Playing career1
Years Club Games (Goals)
1898 Rovers 11 (unknown)
1898–1904 Perth unknown
1905 Kalgoorlie City unknown
1906–09 St Kilda 39 (4)
1910–14 Carlton 66 (51)
1915 North Melbourne unknown
Representative team honours
Years Team Games (Goals)
unknown VFL 4 (unknown)
Coaching career
Years Club Games (W–L–D)
1913 Carlton 18 (9–1–8)
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 1915.
Career highlights
Sources: AFL Tables,

John "Jack" Wells (4 January 1883 – 17 December 1966) was an Australian rules footballer who played for Rovers and Perth in the Western Australian Football Association (WAFA), Kalgoorlie City in the Goldfields Football Association (GFA), St Kilda and Carlton in the Victorian Football League (VFL), and North Melbourne in the Victorian Football Association (VFA).


Born in Stawell, Victoria, to William Wells and Jane Mary Reid, Wells played his early football in Western Australia where he spent time in both Kalgoolie and Perth.

Originally playing for Rovers, he switched to Perth after the club folded midway through the 1898 season. He represented the Perth Football Club in their inaugural WAFA season and topped their goal kicking in 1904. His tally that year included what was then a club record 11 goals in a match against Subiaco. Before crossing to the VFL he played in the Goldfields Football Association with Kalgoorlie City and was the league's 'Best and fairest' winner in 1905.

He was used in a variety of position during his career, mostly as a centreman, up forward and in the ruck. In his four seasons at St Kilda he struggled with injuries but captained the club in 1907, to their first ever finals appearance, and at the beginning of 1908. He joined Carlton in 1910 and played in their losing Grand Final side that year. In 1912 he was appointed captain and the following season captained-coached Carlton to sixth place. A four-time Victorian interstate representative, Wells was picked to captain his state in a match against South Australia in 1912 but had withdraw due to an injury.

After leaving Carlton, Wells finished his career in the VFA at North Melbourne.