This article does not cite any sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.Find sources: "Liberalism in Lithuania" – news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR (September 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article gives an overview of liberalism in Lithuania. Liberalism was a major force in Lithuania since 1902. Next to the urban citizens, agrarian liberal parties became active. It is limited to liberal parties with substantial support, mainly proved by having had a representation in parliament. The sign ⇒ denotes another party in that scheme. For inclusion in this scheme it isn't necessary so that parties labeled themselves as a liberal party.
After the restoration of independence in 1990 liberal parties arose again. Currently, the Liberal Movement and Freedom and Justice are centre-right liberal parties, and the Freedom Party is a centrist liberal party.
Lithuanian Democratic Party
From Lithuanian Peasants' Union to Lithuanian Popular Peasants' Union
- 1905: The ⇒ Lithuanian Democratic Party sponsored the foundation of the Lithuanian Peasants' Union (Lietuvos Valstiečių Sąjunga), a party working under supervision of the LDP
- 1920: The party became an independent party
- 1922: The party merged with the ⇒ Lithuanian Socialist Popular Democratic Party into the Lithuanian Popular Peasants' Union (Lietuvos Valstiečių Liaudininkų Sąjunga) under the leadership of Mykolas Sleževičius and Kazys Grinius
- 1935: The party is banned, but continued in exile
- 1990: It is refounded as a conservative-agrarian party
Lithuanian Socialist Popular Democratic Party
- 1917: A left wing faction of the ⇒ Lithuanian Democratic Party formed the Lithuanian Popular Socialist Democratic Party (Lietuvos Socialistų Liaudininkų Demokratų Partija)
- 1922: The party merged with the ⇒ Lithuanian Peasants' Union into the ⇒ Lithuanian Popular Peasants' Union
From Democratic National Freedom League to Farmers Party
- 1917: A moderate faction of the ⇒ Lithuanian Democratic Party formed the Democratic National Freedom League (Demokratinė Tautos Laisvės Santara)
- 1925: The party is renamed into the Farmers Party (Ūkininkų Partija)
- 1928: The party is banned, but continued in exile
From Lithuanian Liberal Union to Liberal and Centre Union
New Union Social Liberals
Lithuanian Freedom Union (Liberals) to Freedom and Justice
- 2019: The Freedom Party was formed by the former members of Liberals' Movement of the Republic of Lithuania.