Musselroe Wind Farm
CountryAustralia
Location
  • Cape Portland
Coordinates40°46′50″S 148°01′46″E / 40.780556°S 148.029444°E / -40.780556; 148.029444Coordinates: 40°46′50″S 148°01′46″E / 40.780556°S 148.029444°E / -40.780556; 148.029444
StatusOperational
Commission date2013
Construction costA$394m
Operator(s)Hydro Tasmania
Wind farm
TypeOnshore
Hub height80 metres (262 ft)
Rotor diameter90 metres (295 ft)
Rated wind speed
  • 15 m/s (49 ft/s)
Power generation
Units operational56 × 3 MW
Make and modelVestas V90
Units planned56 × 3 MW
Nameplate capacity168 MW
Capacity factor38.39% (average 2014-2021)
Annual net output564.9 GWh (average 2014-2021)
External links
Websitewww.woolnorthwind.com.au/wind-farms/musselroe

Musselroe Wind Farm is a wind farm at Cape Portland, Tasmania, Australia.[1] It was the third wind farm built in the state, following the Bluff Point and Studland Bay Wind Farms (making up the larger Woolnorth Wind Farm).

While it is operated by Hydro Tasmania, which has a 25% stake in the farm, China-based Shenhua Clean Energy (SCE) owns a 75% stake in the farm. Guohua Energy Investment owns a 75% share in SCE, while it's sister company, Shenhua Hong Kong, owning the remaining 25% share in SCE.[2]

The farm consists of 56 Vestas V90-3MW wind turbines, with a generating capacity of 168 MW. The energy output from the Musselroe Wind Farm will be sufficient to supply electricity to around 50,000 households and abate 450,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions annually.[3]

The first 37 turbines were connected to the grid in 2013,[4] and the full farm was completed in January 2014.[5]

Operations

The generation table uses eljmkt nemlog to obtain generation values for each month. Grid connection started in March 2013, and was fully commissioned during September 2013.

Musselroe Wind Farm Generation (MWh)
Year Total Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
2013 295,995 N/A N/A 32* 241* 945* 7,468* 30,983* 48,784* 51,220* 68,997 35,500 51,825
2014 484,474 34,713 27,852 31,917 34,204 44,233 39,258 40,538 34,299 46,341 53,862 47,685 49,572
2015 510,368 45,190 29,885 53,417 24,113 48,269 45,136 52,411 43,939 25,602 36,782 56,514 49,110
2016 612,762 42,717 35,000 32,513 38,435 54,397 66,585 74,100 52,272 40,050 65,207 61,271 50,215
2017 552,314 58,317 45,091 35,292 23,034 37,767 42,745 47,559 47,323 69,999 51,901 32,724 60,562
2018 581,505 41,025 36,252 43,946 52,602 60,142 41,883 67,299 61,374 59,152 32,440 40,365 45,025
2019 654,555 50,717 53,246 41,241 49,790 55,566 40,342 74,391 59,072 55,465 50,408 70,404 53,913
2020 555,972 52,825 58,586 30,647 56,364 47,486 37,668 36,360 46,909 50,266 45,181 39,047 54,633
2021 567,380 49,594 34,507 50,766 57,488 47,518 30,729 50,829 62,706 59,434 52,991 31,725 39,093

Note: Asterisk indicates power output was limited during the month.

Note: From 2018, the wind farm participated in the FCAS market; this generally reduces the amount of power provided to the grid in order to allow a ramp up when required.[6] The wind farm now has an apparent limit of ≈153 MW, rarely returning to its previous maximum output of around ≈166 MW when the grid demands it.[7]

See also

References

  1. ^ Alan Copeland. Electricity Generation Major Development Projects -- October 2009 Listing Archived 7 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine, ABARE, November 2009, p. 9.
  2. ^ "Hydro Tasmania, Shenhua Clean Energy to build Musselroe Wind Farm in Australia". www.power-technology.com. Archived from the original on 15 April 2021. Retrieved 15 April 2021.
  3. ^ Alison Andrews: "Musselroe wind farm to light up Tasmania from February " Archived 12 December 2012 at the Wayback Machine in The Examiner, 10 December 2012
  4. ^ Tim Walker and Leon Compton: "Musselroe Windfarm online" Archived 25 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine on ABC, 23 April 2013
  5. ^ Mounster, Bruce: "Energy future lies in the wind as Tasmania is urged to embrace a 'world-class resource'" Archived 5 March 2014 at the Wayback Machine in The Mercury, 19 January 2014
  6. ^ "Musselroe Wind Farm FCAS Trial - Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA)". Australian Renewable Energy Agency. Archived from the original on 9 April 2021. Retrieved 9 April 2021.
  7. ^ "Musselroe Wind Farm Provision of FCAS" (PDF). September 2021. p. 9. Archived (PDF) from the original on 7 October 2021. Retrieved 8 October 2021.