The existing Bangladeshi honours system was created after Independence of Bangladesh. The most highest civilian honours are the Independence Award and Ekushey Padak. They are awarded every year. The awards are civilian awards for a broad set of achievements in fields such as Education, Arts, Civil Service, or Social Service and Liberation War. Awards were also bestowed posthumously and they are not given for foreign citizens.
The most recognized and respected gallantry awards are the Bir (Bengali: বীর) awards which are Bir Sreshtho, Bir Uttom, Bir Bikrom and Bir Protik in decreasing order of importance. They are awarded to freedom fighters who showed utmost bravery and fought against the Pakistan Army in the Bangladesh Liberation War. All of these awards were introduced immediately after the Liberation War in 1971.
The 'Nakeeb Padak' (Bangla : নকীব পদক) has been awarded since 2021 for the contribution to Bengali literature.
Military Medals of Bangladesh
The following are the various gallantry, service and war medals of the Bangladesh Armed Forces.
Wartime gallantry awards
- Bir Sreshtho-(Bengali: বীরশ্রেষ্ঠ; literally, "The Most Valiant Hero"), the highest gallantry award
- Bir Uttom- (Bengali: বীর উত্তম; literally, "Better among Braves"), the second highest gallantry award
- Bir Bikrom- (Bengali: বীর বিক্রম; literally, "Valiant hero"), the third highest gallantry award
- Bir Protik- (Bengali: বীর প্রতীক; literally, "Symbol of Bravery or Idol of Courage"), the fourth highest gallantry award
Peacetime gallantry awards
- Bir Sorbottam-(Bengali: বীর সর্বোত্তম; literally, "The Foremost Braves"), the highest gallantry award
- Bir Mrittunjoee- (Bengali: বীর মৃত্যুঞ্জয়ী; literally, "The Immortal Braves"), the second highest gallantry award
- Bir Chiranjib- (Bengali: বীর চিরঞ্জীব; literally, " The Incorruptible Braves"), the third highest gallantry award
- Bir Durjoy- (Bengali: বীর দুর্জয়; literally, "The Indomitable Braves"), the fourth highest gallantry award
Army service medals
- Army Medal সেনাবাহিনী পদক (PSB)
- Extraordinary Service Medal
- Distinguished Service Medal
- Army Medal of Glory সেনা গৌরব পদক (SGP)
- Army Medal of Excellence সেনা উৎকর্ষ পদক (SUP)
- Army Efficiency Medal সেনা পারদর্শিতা পদক (SPP)
Long service awards
- Jestha Padak I (10 years service)
- Jestha Padak II (20 years service)
- Jestha Padak III (27 years service)
Police medals are awarded every year in the annual Police Week Parade. They are awarded both for bravery and service.
Orders, decorations, and medals of Bangladesh
Orders, decorations, and medals by country