This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.Find sources: "Philippine Airlines Flight 434" – news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Philippine Airlines Flight 434
Philippine Airlines Boeing 747-283B (M); EI-BWF, December 1988 (5669249917).jpg
EI-BWF, the accident aircraft, in December 1988
DateDecember 11, 1994
SummaryBomb planted by Ramzi Yousef as a test for the Bojinka plot
SiteMinami Daito Island, Okinawa, Japan
25°50′45″N 131°14′30″E / 25.84583°N 131.24167°E / 25.84583; 131.24167Coordinates: 25°50′45″N 131°14′30″E / 25.84583°N 131.24167°E / 25.84583; 131.24167
Aircraft typeBoeing 747-283BM
OperatorPhilippine Airlines
Flight originNinoy Aquino International Airport, Pasay, Philippines
StopoverMactan–Cebu International Airport, Cebu, Philippines
DestinationNarita International Airport, Tokyo, Japan

Philippine Airlines Flight 434, sometimes referred to as PAL434 or PR434, was a flight on December 11, 1994 from Cebu to Tokyo on a Boeing 747-283B that was seriously damaged by a bomb, killing one passenger and damaging vital control systems.[1] The bombing was a test run of the unsuccessful Bojinka terrorist attacks. The Boeing 747 (tail number EI-BWF) was flying the second leg of a route from Ninoy Aquino International Airport (formerly Manila International Airport), Pasay in the Philippines, to Narita International Airport, in Tokyo, Japan, with a stop at Mactan–Cebu International Airport, Cebu, in the Philippines. After the bomb detonated, 58-year-old veteran pilot Captain Eduardo "Ed" Reyes was able to land the aircraft, saving it and the remaining passengers and crew.[2]

Authorities later discovered that Ramzi Yousef, a passenger on the aircraft's prior flight leg, had placed the explosive.[3][4] Yousef boarded the flight under the fake Italian name "Armaldo Forlani", an incorrect spelling of the name of the Italian legislator[5] Arnaldo Forlani, in order not to get caught.[6] Yousef was later convicted of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.[4]

Aircraft and crew

The aircraft operating Flight 434 was a 15-year-old Boeing 747-283BM, registration EI-BWF, serial number 21575.[7] It made its first flight on February 17, 1979, and was delivered to Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) on March 2, 1979 as SE-DFZ, operating the plane as "Knut Viking". The plane was then delivered to Philippine Airlines on April 1, 1992, after flying with Nigeria Airways, Lionair, and Aerolíneas Argentinas, from June 3, 1983, to March 30, 1992.

The flight crew consisted of the following:


This section relies largely or entirely on a single source. Relevant discussion may be found on the talk page. Please help improve this article by introducing citations to additional sources.Find sources: "Philippine Airlines Flight 434" – news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR (May 2018)

Setting the bomb

Ramzi Yousef boarded the aircraft for the Manila to Cebu leg of the flight. The plane departed from Manila at 5:35 a.m. (UTC+08:00) After the plane was airborne, he went into the lavatory with his toiletry bag in hand and took off his shoes to get out the batteries, wiring, and spark source hidden in the heel below a level where metal detectors in use at the time couldn't detect. Yousef removed a modified Casio digital watch from his wrist to be used as a timer, unpacked the remaining materials from his toiletry bag, and assembled his bomb. He set the timer for four hours later, when he would be long disembarked and the plane would be far out over the ocean and en route to Tokyo during the next leg of its journey, put the entire bomb back into the bag, and returned to his assigned seat.

After moving to seat 26K following a granted permission by a flight attendant due to his claim that he could get a better view from that seat, Yousef tucked the assembled bomb into the life vest pocket underneath. Yousef decided here as in some 747 models, the fuel tank is underneath which would cause considerable damage and most likely bring the plane down; the 747 used for this flight had the fuel tank further back. He exited the aircraft in Cebu.[8] Philippine domestic Flight Attendant Maria De La Cruz noticed that Yousef had switched seats during the course of the Manila to Cebu flight and got off the plane in Cebu with the domestic cabin crew, but did not pass the information along to the international flight crew that boarded at Cebu for the trip to Tokyo. 25 other passengers also got off the plane at Cebu, where 256 more passengers and a new cabin crew consisting of Flight Purser Isidro Mangahas, Jr., Flight Stewards Fernando Bayot, Agustin Azurin, Ronnie Macapagal, E. Reyes, R. Santiago, Flight Attendants M. Alvar, Alpha Nicolasin, Cynthia Tengonciang, Andre Palma, Socorro Mendoza, E. Co, L. Garcia, N. dela Cruz, Adora Altarejos, L. Abella and Japanese interpreter K. Okada, boarded the plane for the final leg of the flight to Tokyo.[6]


Aftermath of the bombing, photographed by the United States Diplomatic Security Service
Aftermath of the bombing, photographed by the United States Diplomatic Security Service

Flight 434 landed in Cebu at 6:50 a.m., after a flight time of 1 hour 15 minutes. At 8:38 a.m., after a 38-minute delay due to airport congestion, the plane took off with a total of 273 passengers on board. Among them was 24-year-old Haruki Ikegami (池上春樹, Ikegami Haruki), a Japanese industrial sewing machine maker returning from a business trip to Cebu, occupying seat 26K.[6] At 11:43 a.m. Eastern Indonesian Time, 4 hours after Yousef planted his bomb, the device exploded Ikegami’s seat injuring an additional ten passengers in the adjacent seats in front of and behind seat 26K. Steward Fernando Bayot tried to pull him out of the hole that was from the explosion, but soon Bayot realized that part of Ikegami’s body was missing, and that Ikegami had died. After that Bayot reported to the captain. [6] The blast also blew off a two-square-foot (0.2 m²) portion of the cabin floor leaving a gaping hole leading to the cargo hold location, and the cabin's rapid expansion from the explosion severed a number of control cables in the ceiling that controlled the plane's right aileron, as well as cables that connected to the steering controls of both the Captain and First Officer.[6]

The severity of the disaster was reduced by several mitigating factors. One was that this particular 747 had a modified seating arrangement instead of the standard layout, making seat 26K two rows forward of the center fuel tank. The hole in the floor beneath the seat punched through to the cargo hold instead of the fuel tank, sparing the plane from exploding.[6] The bomb's orientation, positioned front-to-back and upward angled from horizontal, caused the blast to expand vertically and lengthwise. This spared the plane's outer structure, as Ikegami's body absorbed most of the blast force;[6] the lower half of his body fell into the cargo hold. Additionally, due to the 38-minute delay in takeoff from Cebu the plane was not as far out to sea as anticipated, which contributed to the captain's available options for an emergency landing.[6]

Masaharu Mochizuki, a passenger on the flight, recalled that passengers, both injured and uninjured, initially tried to move away from the blast site, but cabin crew told passengers to remain in place until an assessment of the situation could be made.[6] Assistant purser and lead economy class flight attendant, Fernando Bayot, moved an injured passenger named Yukihiko Osui away from the bomb site. Bayot then saw Ikegami and tried to pull him out of the hole, but soon realized that most of Ikegami's body below the waist was either damaged or missing entirely. In order to prevent additional panic, Bayot called another flight attendant over to give the appearance that they were tending to Ikegami's needs with a blanket and oxygen mask, then reported the extent of the passenger injuries to the cockpit.[6] Of the ten passengers who were injured, one needed urgent medical care.[6]


Immediately after the bombing, the aircraft banked hard to the right, but the autopilot quickly fixed the bank.[6] After the blast, Captain Reyes asked Systems Engineer Dexter Comendador to survey the blast area to check for damage. Reyes placed the Mayday call, requesting landing at Naha Airport, Okinawa Island, Okinawa Prefecture.[6] The Japanese air traffic controller experienced difficulty in trying to understand Reyes' request, so American air traffic controllers from a U.S. military base on Okinawa took over and processed Reyes' landing.[6] They directed a USAF Learjet towards PAL 434 to visually check for damage of the outer fuselage and to verify that the landing gear was in place. The autopilot had stopped responding to Reyes' commands and the aircraft flew past Okinawa.[6]

Reyes said in an interview for the Canadian television series Mayday that when he disengaged the autopilot he feared that the aircraft would bank right again and the crew would lose control of the aircraft; because of the pressing need to land quickly to attend to the injured and inspect the plane for additional damage, however, Reyes instructed First Officer Jaime Herrera to take hold of his own controls and then Reyes deactivated the autopilot.[6] The aircraft did not bank after the disengagement of the autopilot, but neither would it respond to steering inputs from either controller due to the control cable damage caused by the bomb.[6] The crew struggled to use the ailerons, which could allow the aircraft to roll but were still unable to change the plane's direction. After thinking through the different hypothetical methods of control, the crew settled on using asymmetric thrust to control the jet, in a very similar fashion to United Airlines Flight 232's crew five years earlier, because other methods of control were either deemed too risky to attempt, or would not have as much effect as other ways.[6]

By using the throttles to steer the plane, reducing air speed to both control the radius of turns and to allow the plane to descend, and dumping fuel to lessen the strain on the landing gear,[6] the Captain landed the damaged 747 at Naha Airport at 12:45 p.m., one hour after the bomb exploded.[5] The aircraft's other 272 passengers and 20 crew members survived.[6]

The bomb

Main article: Ramzi Yousef

U.S. prosecutors said the device was a "Mark II" PETN "microbomb" constructed using Casio digital watches as described in Phase I of the Bojinka plot, for which this was a test.[9] On Flight 434, Yousef used one tenth of the explosive power he planned to use on eleven U.S. airliners in January 1995.[10] The bomb was, or at least all of its components were, designed to slip through airport security checks undetected. The explosive used was liquid nitroglycerin, which was disguised as a bottle of contact lens fluid.[9]


Manila police were able to track the batteries used in the bomb and many of its contents from Okinawa back to Manila. Police uncovered Yousef's plan on the night of January 6 and the early morning of January 7, 1995, and Yousef was arrested a month later in Pakistan.[6] He was extradited back to the United States to face trial wherein the New York Supreme Court gave him a life sentence with an additional 240 years. Yousef concurrently serves his terms at the ADX Florence prison. Ramzi Yousef's accomplices also received 240 years in prison.

The flight deck and cabin crew members[11] were commended by President Fidel Ramos for their "professional handling of a potentially disastrous situation" and went their separate ways following the incident. Ed Reyes transferred to Cebu Pacific to work as an Administrative Check Pilot, flight instructor, and DC-9 captain until his retirement in 2002. He served as Board Secretary and Director of Airlink International Aviation School, also working as an aviation course professor in the same institution until his death on February 14, 2007, from prostate cancer. First Officer Jaime Herrera was later promoted to Captain and continued to fly for Philippine Airlines until his retirement in 2008. He died on March 27, 2021, at the age of 73.[12] Systems Engineer Dexter Comendador also moved to Cebu Pacific in 1998 and served as a management pilot in that company, then moved to Philippines AirAsia in 2011 where he served as COO and was later appointed as interim CEO in July 2016 and CEO in January 2017.[13][14] Comendador retired in July 2019.[15]

The aircraft, then registered as EI-BWF, was later converted to a cargo configuration as Boeing 747-283B(SF). It subsequently changed hands several times, always to air cargo companies, and was finally placed in storage in 2007 at Châteauroux-Centre "Marcel Dassault" Airport.[16]

Philippine Airlines still uses flight number 434, but it currently operates as a Cebu–Narita sector that utilizes an Airbus A321 or A330. The airline retired its last 747 aircraft in September 2014. PAL still operates a Manila-Tokyo (Narita and Haneda) sector separately.

In popular culture

The events of Flight 434 were featured in "Bomb on Board", a Season 3 (2005) episode of the Canadian TV series Mayday[6] (called Air Emergency and Air Disasters in the United States and Air Crash Investigation in the UK and elsewhere around the world). Filipino Canadian actor Von Flores portrayed Captain Reyes while Canadian actor and comedian Sam Kalilieh played Ramzi Yousef.

See also


  1. ^ Caña, Paul John (December 11, 2020). "Remembering the Bombing of PAL Flight 434". Retrieved 2021-05-24.
  2. ^ "TRIBUTE TO CAPTAIN EDUARDO REYES". Congressional Record (Bound Edition), Volume 153 (2007), Part 3. Retrieved August 7, 2020.
  3. ^ State's Security Bureau Takes on Expanded Role, Washington Post, September 27, 2004.
  4. ^ a b, January 8, 1998. 'Proud terrorist' gets life for Trade Center Bombing.
  5. ^ a b Yousef bombs Philippines Airlines Flight 434, GlobalSecurity.Org report on incident
  6. ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v "Bomb on Board". Mayday. Season 3. Episode 5. 2005. Discovery Channel Canada / National Geographic Channel.
  7. ^ "Aviation Safety Investigation Database : Philippine Airlines Flight 434". Flight Safety Foundation.
  8. ^ Simon Reeve (2002). The New Jackals: Ramzi Yousef, Osama Bin Laden and the Future of Terrorism. UPNE. p. 79. ISBN 978-1-55553-509-4.
  9. ^ a b Bonner, Raymond; Weiser, Benjamin (August 11, 2006). "Echoes of Early Design to Use Chemicals to Blow Up Airlines". The New York Times Company. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
  10. ^ Pender, Sam (2004). Saddam's Ties to Al Queda. College Station, TX: Publishing Inc. p. 53. ISBN 1-58939-684-7.
  11. ^ [Manila Bulletin], December 18, 1994,
  12. ^ "In memory of Tito Jimmy, my mom's cousin, who died yesterday". Twitter. Retrieved 2021-03-28.((cite web)): CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  13. ^ "PHL AirAsia names Comendador as interim CEO". GMA News. 9 July 2016. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
  14. ^ "Dexter Comendador - CEO of Capital A Berhad | AIABF". Macroaxis. Retrieved 2022-03-26.
  15. ^ "AirAsia senior leadership changes to drive growth and profitability in the Philippines". AirAsia. Retrieved 2022-08-15.
  16. ^ Boeing 747 – MSN 21575,