This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.Find sources: "SPI International" – news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR (January 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
SPI International
FoundedDecember 23, 1993; 30 years ago (1993-12-23)
The Hague
ParentCanal+ Group

SPI International is an international media company based in the Netherlands.[1] It is owned by Canal+ Group. It operates 42 TV channels, multiple digital products across six continents, and is a major player in content distribution and broadcasting worldwide. [2]

The company operates multiple free to air and pay TV channels in CEE, Western Europe, CIS and Adria regions including key European markets such as Poland, Czechia, Romania, Serbia, and the Netherlands.[2]

SPI’s brands include FilmBox+ and Dizi streaming services. SPI also owns and operates the brand assets of Film1 premium movie services in The Netherlands, including four linear channels and an on-demand service.[2]

Brands and Companies


In 2019, SPI bought Film1 from Sony Pictures Television.[3] Film1 operates four movie channels in the Netherlands - Film1 Action, Film1 Drama, Film1 Family, Film1 Premiere and an on-demand service.[2]

In March 2022, the French media company Canal+ Group acquired a 70% stake in the company.[4] In August 2023, it was announced Canal+ Group had acquired the remaining 30% of SPI, taking full control of the company.[5]


  1. ^ "SPI International BV". Bloomberg. Retrieved 7 January 2020.
  2. ^ a b c d e f g h "About Us". SPI International.
  3. ^ Clarke, Stewart (8 July 2019). "Sony and SPI International Strike Deal for Film1 Movie Channels in the Netherlands". Variety.
  4. ^ "Canal+ completes SPI acquisition". 2022-03-18. Retrieved 2022-03-18.
  5. ^ "Canal+ buys up SPI International". Broadband TV News. 2023-08-18. Retrieved 2023-08-19.