This article does not cite any sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.Find sources: "Song Xilian" – news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Song Xilian
Song Xilian
Native name
Born(1907-04-09)April 9, 1907
Xiangxiang, Hunan Province, China
DiedFebruary 14, 1993(1993-02-14) (aged 85)
New York City, United States
Allegiance Republic of China
Service/branchRepublic of China (1912–1949) National Revolutionary Army
Years of service1923–1949
Lieutenant General

Song Xilian (宋希濂; April 9, 1907-February 13, 1993) was a Kuomintang general from Hunan. He was last in charge to moving remaining KMT troops to Xikang Province. He was captured and tried as an enemy of people and was finally released in the 1980s. He spent his remaining years in retirement in the United States and wrote about his military years and affiliation with Huangpu Academy.

Early life

In 1920, Song Xilian tested into Changjun High School in Changsha, Hunan Province. In January 1924, he left his family and, with Chen Geng from the same county, traveled to Guangzhou where they enlisted in Huangpu Military Academy's first class, and Song Xilian would be that class's youngest graduate. He Joined the Kuomintang in June of that year, and in 1925 he would take part in the National Revolutionary Army's first Eastern Punitive Expedition. After the expedition he was promoted to vice commander of the 4th company and by early June was company Commander.

In 1927 he left for Chiba, Japan to study at the local military academy.

Return to China

In 1930, following the breakout of the Central Plains War, Song Xilian returned to China, becoming a staff officer in the National Revolutionary Army's 1st division. He held the rank of lieutenant colonel. In 1931 the division was reformed into the 87th division, and Song Xilian led the 261st brigade. In 1932 he took part in the January 28 Incident.

Later life

In the Chinese Revolutionary War, he was captured by the Communists and jailed in Beijing's Gongdelin Prison. In 1959 he was exonerated, released and given position in government. He left China for the US in 1980 where he died in 1993.