On this WikiProject Stub sorting subpage, you can propose new stub types (please read the procedures beforehand!), as well as the reorganization and subdivision of existing stub types. You can also discuss anything else related to stubs on the talk page.
Proposing new stub types – procedure
Important: If you wish to propose the creation of a stub ARTICLE you've come to the wrong place. If you don't have a username yourself, please go to WP:AFC for proposing a new article. If you already have a username, you can create the article yourself. If you don't know how, add ((Helpme)) to your user talk page to request help from other editors. This page only deals with stub TEMPLATES and CATEGORIES; we cannot help you with creating articles.
||Proposing new stub types
|If you wish to propose a new stub category and template, please follow these procedures:
- Check the List of stub types or under Category:Stub categories to make sure that your proposed new stub does not already exist.
- List it at the top of the current month's section, under a header, like the ones shown (if any). Sign it with a datestamp (~~~~).
- Please bear in mind that a stub category isn't about the importance or notability of the topic!
- Find a good number of stub articles, as many as you can, that will fit that template. You may use this tool to scan through categories; tagged stubs are always in Category:All stub articles and transclude ((asbox)). Each of these articles can be:
- currently marked with ((stub));
- currently marked with another type of stub tag (in which case you should justify why your tag is better for the article than the current one);
- a stub whose categorisation is highly ambiguous or questionable;
- not marked as a stub.
- If you use any category scan (from the tool mentioned above or from any other), please link to it so that other users can confirm that the results are still accurate.
- Others may do the same, if they so desire.
- 5 days after listing it here, if there is general approval or no objection, go ahead and create the new category and/or template following the format on Wikipedia:Stub. List the new stub type on the stub types list in an appropriate section. If consensus is not clear, or discussion is still ongoing, the proposal will remain open until consensus can be reached.
- If you wish to propose a stub type which does not currently have 60 articles that could use it, you may propose an upmerged template in a similar way. An upmerged template would feed into currently existing stub categories until such time that there are enough stubs for a separate stub category. At that point a category for it may be separately proposed. Some times, it may be difficult to be sure how many stubs would get a tag - in which case you can also start with an upmerged stub tag until you're sure there are enough.
DO NOT place a proposal here for any stub type which has already been created and is being discussed at Wikipedia:Categories for discussion. The proposal page is only for stub types that have not yet been created, and it is better to keep any discussion of such stub types in one place rather than splitting it between different pages. Wikipedia:Categories for discussion is the correct page for proposals to delete a stub type.
^ . Good number means about 60 articles or more, or 30 or more if it is the primary stub type of a WikiProject, though this figure may vary from case to case.
A stub type may be proposed for "speedy creation" if it meets one of the following criteria:
- S1 - the creation of a category for which an approved upmerged template already exists and is now in use on more than 60 articles.
- S2 - the creation of an upmerged national-level template for a subject in which other such national-level templates currently exist (e.g., X-bio-stub, X-hist-stub, or X-geo-stub, where X is the name of an internationally widely recognised country) or other instances where a clearly established pattern of similar subtypes exists. The proposed topic may not be controversial in scope. Many templates qualifying for S2 are listed at Wikipedia:WikiProject Stub sorting/To do/To create.
List speedy creation proposals in the same proposal listings as normal stub proposals below.
Proposals, December 2021
Please check how many articles qualify for a stub type before proposing it.
Sri Lankan politician stubs
Category:Sri Lankan politician stubs is sitting at a 516 pages at the moment.
There are 9 provinces of Sri Lanka. Each MP represents an electoral district which corresponds exactly with the sub-districts of Sri Lanka. This makes for easy sorting even with historical stubs; thus, this would just be standard sorting by region: this would follow the set-up of Category:Sri Lanka geography stubs.
These would be created as:
- ((CentralLK-politician-stub)) // Category:Central Province, Sri Lanka politician stubs
- ((EasternLK-politician-stub)) // Category:Eastern Province, Sri Lanka politician stubs
- ((NorthCentralLK-politician-stub)) // Category:North Central Province, Sri Lanka politician stubs
- ((NorthWesternLK-politician-stub)) // Category:North Western Province, Sri Lanka politician stubs
- ((NorthernLK-politician-stub)) // Category:Northern Province, Sri Lanka politician stubs
- ((SabaragamuwaLK-politician-stub)) // Category:Sabaragamuwa Province politician stubs
- ((SouthernLK-politician-stub)) // Category:Southern Province, Sri Lanka politician stubs
- ((UvaLK-politician-stub)) // Category:Uva Province politician stubs
- ((WesternLK-politician-stub)) // Category:Western Province, Sri Lanka politician stubs
It may also be beneficial to sort by party, but I'll determine this after initial sorting is complete.
Curbon7 (talk) 07:06, 16 December 2021 (UTC)
Nepal politician stubs
Category:Nepalese politician stubs is sitting at a casual 513 pages at the moment.
There are 7 provinces of Nepal as created in 2015. Even though these were created recently, they are organized by the grouping of the pre-existing sub-districts of Nepal. This makes for easy sorting even with historical stubs; thus, this would just be standard sorting by region: this would follow the set-up of Category:Nepal geography stubs.
These would be created as:
- ((Bagmati-politician-stub)) // Category:Bagmati Province politician stubs
- ((Gandaki-politician-stub)) // Category:Gandaki Province politician stubs
- ((Karnali-politician-stub)) // Category:Karnali Province politician stubs
- ((Lumbini-politician-stub)) // Category:Lumbini Province politician stubs
- ((Province1NP-politician-stub)) // Category:Province No. 1 politician stubs
- ((Province2NP-politician-stub)) // Category:Province No. 2 politician stubs
- ((Sudurpashchim-politician-stub)) // Category:Sudurpashchim Province politician stubs
n.b. Province No. 1 and Province No. 2 will be renamed by the government eventually.
By region is pretty much the only way to sort Nepali politicians, as by party seems extremely difficult/impossible. This is because their political system has consisted of like 10-20 different major communist parties that are constantly merging and collapsing like every 2 seconds; this makes it a nigh impossible to figure out a sorting system that will last.
Curbon7 (talk) 10:58, 13 December 2021 (UTC)
- Support per nom. Her Pegship (?) 02:44, 14 December 2021 (UTC)
Taiwanese politician stubs
Category:Taiwanese politician stubs is huge, sitting at 485 articles. Propose splitting via the two major parties (i.e. ((Taiwan-KMT-politician-stub)) for Kuomintang and ((Taiwan-DPP-politician-stub)) for Democratic Progressive Party). Splitting via geography wouldn't work well since Taiwan is unitary, so by party seems better. Would sort first and make the categories after they reach 60 each. Curbon7 (talk) 23:15, 11 December 2021 (UTC)
- Support per nom. Her Pegship (?) 02:45, 14 December 2021 (UTC)
- Sorting completed. Was able to cut down to 248 pages. That's pretty much as good as it's gonna get, as most of the remainder have no party affiliation. Both categories were able to be created. Curbon7 (talk) 06:38, 16 December 2021 (UTC)
Texas election stubs
((Texas-election-stub)) has 74 instances. Would be created as Category:Texas election stubs. Curbon7 (talk) 04:15, 6 December 2021 (UTC)
- Support per nom. Her Pegship (?) 02:45, 14 December 2021 (UTC)
British Army stub
If there's consensus for the above template, can somebody approve this draft? Thanks. --I dream of horses (Contribs) (Talk) 03:05, 4 December 2021 (UTC)
- The parent category, Category:United Kingdom military stubs, is very poorly sorted and needs significant work; that said, I would support as an upmerge until it reaches the 60 article threshold (with the category likely being Category:British Army stubs once it crosses the threshold). Curbon7 (talk) 03:28, 4 December 2021 (UTC)
- "Significant work" - really??? Care to explain your high provocative statement? 220.127.116.11 (talk) 04:33, 4 December 2021 (UTC)
- Comment: As the creator of this draft stub, it is simply the case of creating a 'parity' of other arms British Armed Forces - the Royal Air Force has a 'root' stub, as does the Royal Navy. So why does the British Army not have a 'root' stub template? I would strongly suggest that many British Army-specific stub articles have been incorrectly classified with the WRONG stub template. My guess is that there would very easily be more that 60 articles which could be more accurately stubbed with ((British Army stub)). Kind regards. 18.104.22.168 (talk) 04:42, 4 December 2021 (UTC)
- If many British Army-related stub articles have been incorrectly classified, perhaps there is a question of whether they should be re-classified under an existing stub type (for example, Category:United Kingdom military unit and formation stubs, and/or Category:British Army personnel stubs). (I believe that is the work to which Curbon7 refers.) If there are fewer than 60 articles for which a new ((British-Army-stub)) would be the best choice, we generally upmerge the template until more than 60 articles have been tagged with it, at which point it should have its own category. Her Pegship (?) 04:35, 5 December 2021 (UTC)