On this WikiProject Stub sorting subpage, you can propose new stub types (please read the procedures beforehand!), as well as the reorganization and subdivision of existing stub types. You can also discuss anything else related to stubs on the talk page.
Proposing new stub types – procedure
Important: If you wish to propose the creation of a stub ARTICLE you've come to the wrong place. If you don't have a username yourself, please go to WP:AFC for proposing a new article. If you already have a username, you can create the article yourself. If you don't know how, add ((Helpme)) to your user talk page to request help from other editors. This page only deals with stub TEMPLATES and CATEGORIES; we cannot help you with creating articles.
||Proposing new stub types
|If you wish to propose a new stub category and template, please follow these procedures:
- Check the List of stub types or under Category:Stub categories to make sure that your proposed new stub does not already exist.
- List it at the top of the current month's section, under a header, like the ones shown (if any). Sign it with a datestamp (~~~~).
- Please bear in mind that a stub category isn't about the importance or notability of the topic!
- Find a good number of stub articles, as many as you can, that will fit that template. You may use this tool to scan through categories; tagged stubs are always in Category:All stub articles and transclude ((asbox)). Each of these articles can be:
- currently marked with ((stub));
- currently marked with another type of stub tag (in which case you should justify why your tag is better for the article than the current one);
- a stub whose categorisation is highly ambiguous or questionable;
- not marked as a stub.
- If you use any category scan (from the tool mentioned above or from any other), please link to it so that other users can confirm that the results are still accurate.
- Others may do the same, if they so desire.
- 5 days after listing it here, if there is general approval or no objection, go ahead and create the new category and/or template following the format on Wikipedia:Stub. List the new stub type on the stub types list in an appropriate section. If consensus is not clear, or discussion is still ongoing, the proposal will remain open until consensus can be reached.
- If you wish to propose a stub type which does not currently have 60 articles that could use it, you may propose an upmerged template in a similar way. An upmerged template would feed into currently existing stub categories until such time that there are enough stubs for a separate stub category. At that point a category for it may be separately proposed. Some times, it may be difficult to be sure how many stubs would get a tag - in which case you can also start with an upmerged stub tag until you're sure there are enough.
DO NOT place a proposal here for any stub type which has already been created and is being discussed at Wikipedia:Categories for discussion. The proposal page is only for stub types that have not yet been created, and it is better to keep any discussion of such stub types in one place rather than splitting it between different pages. Wikipedia:Categories for discussion is the correct page for proposals to delete a stub type.
^ Good number means about 60 articles or more, or 30 or more if it is the primary stub type of a WikiProject, though this figure may vary from case to case.
A stub type may be proposed for "speedy creation" if it meets one of the following criteria:
- S1 - the creation of a category for which an approved upmerged template already exists and is now in use on more than 60 articles.
- S2 - the creation of an upmerged national-level template for a subject in which other such national-level templates currently exist (e.g., X-bio-stub, X-hist-stub, or X-geo-stub, where X is the name of an internationally widely recognised country) or other instances where a clearly established pattern of similar subtypes exists. The proposed topic may not be controversial in scope. Many templates qualifying for S2 are listed at Wikipedia:WikiProject Stub sorting/To do/To create.
List speedy creation proposals in the same proposal listings as normal stub proposals below.
Proposals, June 2022
Please check how many articles qualify for a stub type before proposing it.
(Note the double-i in the spelling) It is a family of snails. The stub category would be a subcategory (NOT upmerged) of a parent-only category Hypsogastropoda stubs. There would be at least 130 stubs in the Ancillariidae, mostly taken from a stub category where they are now incorrectly listed. (There will still be plenty in that other category, because there will be a lot moved from yet another category that is now invalid.) Uporządnicki (talk) 00:52, 4 June 2022 (UTC)
- Just curious, which stub category are they incorrectly included in? I see that Ancillariidae-stub redirects to Gastropod-stub, which means a template wouldn't be necessary (we can just un-redirect it), so if there are sufficient Ancillariidae articles, I'll support it. Her Pegship (?) 01:37, 4 June 2022 (UTC)
- They're mostly in Olividae-stubs, but thank you for bringing to my attention that there are a few stub articles for Ancillariidae species in the category for Gastropod stubs. I can't find anything--redirect or otherwise--for Ancillariidae stubs. If it's there and I've just missed it, then that certainly makes a difference. Can you help me find it? Uporządnicki (talk) 13:45, 4 June 2022 (UTC)
- I found it, under Template. OK, well, if it's possible to convert it, I'd like to. It needs to be a subcategory of Hypsogastropoda stubs. And as I said, it will have at least 130 entries--mostly taken from Olividae stubs, where they are incorrectly listed. But I'll wait the prescribed time. When it does get created, moving things is going to be a fairly big job (although I've done FAR bigger). Uporządnicki (talk) 14:45, 4 June 2022 (UTC)
Proposals, May 2022
upmerged template proposal
((Brevicipitidae-stub)) this stub template has only 16 stubs related to it how can it be made into an upmerged template — Preceding unsigned comment added by Massimo510 (talk • contribs) 05:39, 31 May 2022 (UTC)
- @Massimo510: This stub template has several problems: but why did you create it without first obtaining approval on this page? --Redrose64 🌹 (talk) 11:26, 31 May 2022 (UTC)
- @Redrose64 I am sorry i am new to template creation and when i created the template i did not know i needed approval on here first Massimo510 (talk) 05:43, 1 June 2022 (UTC)
((2010s-pop-rock-album-stub)) has 74 transclusions and is a template at Category:2010s rock album stubs. In order to help reduce the backlog, I request a subcategory for 2010s pop rock album stubs as there's enough transclusions for an upmerge. Thanks! --MrLinkinPark333 (talk) 22:42, 26 May 2022 (UTC)
Indian Television Channel stub + category
I request for creation of the stub type ((indian television channel stub)), and a category with the same name is also needed. Lists of television channels in India This article is a proof of the number of Indian TV channels and all the article must be grouped into a stub and category. It would be really useful if this stub type is created. Thanks for reviewing this request. Regards, ItcouldbepossibleTalk 11:17, 26 May 2022 (UTC)
- I see that there's already a template for ((India-tv-station-stub)), attached to 37 articles and upmerged to Category:Indian television stubs; a Petscan search for articles tagged with asbox templates (that is, stub templates) under Category:Television stations in India turned up 57 articles, which includes those 37. If there's a WikiProject for Indian television, I recommend we de-upmerge the existing ((India-tv-station-stub)) and give it a category; if not, I suggest we wait until the template is used on 60 articles and then create the category. tl;dr I think the existing ((India-tv-station-stub)) is sufficient; oppose creation of ((India-tv-channel-stub)). Her Pegship (?) 15:55, 26 May 2022 (UTC)
- @Pegship Sorry for this late reply. I had lost track of this.
- Well, that category you pointed out, is basically, for 'all' indian television related stubs, which includes even the tv station stub too. That is why, india-tv-station-stub may have 37 articles, but since the category is a mix of the two, it gas 57 articles. There is no project for Indian television specifically. There is a wikiproject for television though. Thanks. ItcouldbepossibleTalk 14:47, 30 May 2022 (UTC)
- Thanks for the reply. It's an "upmerged" template, meaning that it feeds into existing categories until it qualifies for its own. I checked how many articles are linked to the template (37, +20 more that could be linked), not in Category:Indian television stubs itself (278). Bottom line: we have a template already for TV stations in India; do we want to create a category? Her Pegship (?) 15:44, 30 May 2022 (UTC)
- @Pegship Could we have a category like Category:Indian TV stations or Category:TV stations in India linked to the
((India-tv-station-stub)). Is that possible? Itcouldbepossible Talk 04:59, 1 June 2022 (UTC)
- Category:Television stations in India does exist; if a stub category for India-tv-station-stub were created, it would be a sub-category of that one. Stub templates are linked only to stub categories, for many reasons which I won't belabor here. Her Pegship (?) 14:39, 1 June 2022 (UTC)
Mexico-politician-NationalRegeneration-stub + redirect
((Mexico-politician-NationalRegeneration-stub)) has 51 transclusions is at Category:Mexican politician stubs. I found that ((Mexico-politician-Morena-stub)) has 40 transclusions and redirects to the NationalRegeneration template. Would it be appropriate to replace the Morena template with the NationalRegeneration template or the other way around? The article name is Morena (political party), which is an abbreviation of National Regeneration Movement. If so, then it'd be enough transclusions for an upmerged template (51+40=91) at Mexican politician stubs and help reduce the stub backlog. Thanks! --MrLinkinPark333 (talk) 01:03, 17 May 2022 (UTC)
NorthMacedonia politician stubs + 2 redirects
((NorthMacedonia-politician-stub)) has 48 transclusions and is a template at Category:European politician stubs. I discovered that
((RMacedonia-politician-stub)) (16 transclusions) and ((Macedonia-politician-stub)) (26 transclusions) both redirect to ((NorthMacedonia-politician-stub)). I was wondering if the RMacedonia and Macedonia templates should be replaced with the NorthMacedonia template. If so, there'd be enough translcusions for an upmerged template (48+16+26=88) at European politician stubs. Thought I should ask here first. Thanks! --MrLinkinPark333 (talk) 18:29, 15 May 2022 (UTC)
- I believe "North Macedonia" is the current official name of the country; Republic of Macedonia was its name until 2019, and "Macedonia" refers to a region, not a country. Sooooo... I'm guessing it would be appropriate to replace ((RMacedonia-politician-stub)) and ((Macedonia-politician-stub)) on those articles (as proposed) and keep the redirects? Her Pegship (?) 23:14, 16 May 2022 (UTC)
Guinea politician stubs
More speedy cats
South African politician stubs