Department of Higher Education is the department under Ministry of Education, that oversees higher education in India.
The department is empowered to grant deemed university status to educational institutions on the advice of the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India, under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission (UGC) Act, 1956.
The department is divided into eight bureaus, and most of the work of the department is handled through over 100 autonomous organisations under these bureaus.
- University and Higher Education; Minorities Education
- Technical Education
- Administration and Languages
- Three Central Universities in the field of Sanskrit, viz. Central Sanskrit University, New Delhi, Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri National Sanskrit University, New Delhi, and National Sanskrit University, Tirupati
- Kendriya Hindi Sansthan (KHS), Agra
- English and Foreign Language University (EFLU), Hyderabad
- National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language (NCPUL)
- National Council for Promotion of Sindhi Language (NCPSL)
- Three subordinate offices: Central Hindi Directorate (CHD), New Delhi; Commission for Scientific & Technological Terminology (CSTT), New Delhi; and Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore
- Distance Education and Scholarships
- UNESCO, International Cooperation, Book Promotion and Copyrights, Education Policy, Planning and Monitoring
- Integrated Finance Division.
- Statistics, Annual Plan and CMIS
- Administrative Reform, North Eastern Region, SC/ST/OBC