This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article
in French. (November 2015) Click [show] for important translation instructions.
Machine translation like DeepL
or Google Translate
is a useful starting point for translations, but translators must revise errors as necessary and confirm that the translation is accurate, rather than simply copy-pasting machine-translated text into the English Wikipedia.
Consider adding a topic
to this template: there are already 4,902 articles in the main category
, and specifying|topic= will aid in categorization.
Do not translate text that appears unreliable or low-quality. If possible, verify the text with references provided in the foreign-language article.
You must provide copyright attribution
in the edit summary
accompanying your translation by providing an interlanguage link
to the source of your translation. A model attribution edit summary is Content in this edit is translated from the existing French Wikipedia article at [[:fr:Commandement de l'espace]]; see its history for attribution.
You should also add the template ((Translated|fr|Commandement de l'espace)) to the talk page
For more guidance, see Wikipedia:Translation
The French Space Command (French: Commandement de l'Espace, CdE) is a formation of the French Air and Space Force, which deals with space issues. It supersedes the Joint Space Command, which was created in 2010.
A formation of the Ministry of the Armed Forces, the JSC is placed under the authority of the Chief of the Defence Staff (France). Within the Defense staff, it is under the supervision of the Deputy Chief of Operations.
- contributes to the national space policy, in coordination with the Directorate General of International Relations and Strategy (DGRIS);
- contributes to the operations in coordination with military operators: the Command of Air Defense and Air Operations (CDAOA), the Joint Directorate of Infrastructure Networks and Defense Information Systems (DIRISI) and the Directorate of Military Intelligence (DRM);
- is responsible for coordinating defining guidelines for the use of French space capabilities available to the Ministry of the Armed Forces;
- shapes the future by federating the expression of operational needs and participates in the development and the implementation of space capability acquisition strategies with the Directorate-General for Armament (DGA) using the French Space Agency: the National Center for Space Studies (CNES);
- deals with all European, international and multilateral military cooperation for matters regarding space;
- orients the space situational awareness efforts, while this spatial situation is produced by the CDAOA.
French space assets
France possesses all major kinds of military assets :
- Earth observation:
- Signal intelligence satellite;
- Satellite communication:
- Space situation awareness:
In relation with its German and Italian partners, France can access SAR imagery, respectively SAR-Lupe and COSMO-SkyMed.
The JSC was created in 2010. From that date, the JSC commanders are: