George Thomas Anderson
Born(1824-02-03)February 3, 1824
Covington, Georgia
DiedApril 4, 1901(1901-04-04) (aged 77)
Anniston, Alabama
Place of burial
Edgemont Cemetery
Anniston, Alabama
AllegianceUnited States United States of America
Confederate States of America Confederate States of America
Service/branch United States Army
 Confederate States Army
Years of service1847–1848; 1855–1858 (USA)
1861–1865 (CSA)
Union army cpt rank insignia.jpg
Captain (USA)
Confederate States of America General-collar.svg
Brigadier General (CSA)
UnitIndependent Company of
Georgia Mounted Volunteers
1st U.S. Cavalry
Commands held11th Georgia Infantry
Anderson's Brigade
Battles/warsMexican–American War
American Civil War

George Thomas Anderson (February 3, 1824 – April 4, 1901) was a general in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. Nicknamed "Tige," Anderson was noted as one of Robert E. Lee's hardest-fighting subordinates.

Early life and career

Anderson was born in Covington, Georgia, and attended Emory University before departing to serve as a second lieutenant of Georgia cavalry during the Mexican–American War. From 1848 until 1850, he was a major general of the 11th Division of the Georgia Militia.[1] He received a commission as a captain in the 1st U.S. Cavalry in 1855, only to resign in 1858.[2]

Civil War service

When the Civil War broke out, Anderson joined the Confederate Army in the insurrection of his home state. He became colonel of the 11th Georgia Infantry regiment but arrived too late to participate in the First Battle of Bull Run. He saw battle during the Peninsula Campaign at Yorktown and commanded a brigade during the Seven Days Battles, Second Bull Run, Fox's Gap,[3] Antietam, and Fredericksburg. He was promoted to brigadier general on November 1, 1862. Anderson missed Chancellorsville being with the majority of Lt. Gen. James Longstreet's First Corps operating in southeastern Virginia.

Longstreet's men rejoined the Army of Northern Virginia in time for the Gettysburg Campaign. Anderson fought around Devil's Den and the Wheatfield at Gettysburg, where he was wounded. He recuperated in the Charleston area while Longstreet's Corps went to Georgia. Anderson did not rejoin his men until the Siege of Knoxville. He saw heavy action in 1864 at the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, and the operations around Richmond and Petersburg. He surrendered with Lee at Appomattox Court House in April 1865.[2]

Postbellum life

After the war, Anderson became a railroad freight agent and police chief in Atlanta, Georgia. He later moved to Anniston, Alabama, becoming police chief there and county tax collector. He died in Anniston on April 4, 1901.[2] He is buried there in Edgemont Cemetery.

See also


  1. ^ Smith, p. 257
  2. ^ a b c Marquis Who's Who, Inc. Who Was Who in American History, the Military. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who, 1975. P. 11 ISBN 0837932017 OCLC 657162692
  3. ^ "Death in the Trenches" The Civil War, Time-Life