This is a list of types of formally designated forests, as used in various places around the world. It is organized in three sublists: by forest ownership, protection status, and designated use.
By protection status
Protected landscape area of Kokořínsko, Czech Republic
- Conservation reserve - used in the United States' Conservation Reserve Program
- Forest circle - an administrative area including protected or resource-managed forests, used in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh
- Forest division - a non-overlapping subdivision of a forest circle, used in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh
- Forest park (The Gambia), as in Dobo Forest Park, Faba Forest Park, Finto Manereg Forest Park, etc.
- Forest preserve, formal dedication for state-owned lands within the constitutionally designated Adirondack and Catskill Parks of the U.S. state of New York, required to be kept forever wild.
- Forest protected area - formal designation of the International Union for Conservation of Nature and the World Commission on Protected Areas
- Forest range - a non-overlapping subdivision of a forest division, used in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh
- Forest reserve or preserve
- High-biodiversity wilderness area - an International Union for Conservation of Nature classification
Wildlife Management Area, West Virginia, USA