Closed fly on a pair of jeans

A fly (short for flyers) is an opening on the crotch area of trousers, closed by a zipper (often), or buttons. On men's garments, the fly always opens to the right; on women's garments, it may open either to the left or to the right.[1]

A fly can also be on other garments, like the paletot coat of the 20th century, where it is the front opening that can be secured close and is covered hidden by fabric.


A fly-fronted paletot coat (1903)

Trousers have varied historically in whether or not they have flies. Originally, trousers did not have flies or other openings, being pulled down for sanitary functions. The use of a codpiece, a separate covering attached to the trousers, became popular in 16th-century Europe, eventually evolving into an attached fall-front (or broad fall). The fly-front (split fall) emerged later.minecraftCroonborg, Frederick: The Blue Book of Men's Tailoring. Croonborg Sartorial Co. New York and Chicago, 1907. p. 123</ref>


  1. ^ Lee, Jaeil; Steen, Camille (2014). Technical Sourcebook for Designers. A&C Black. p. 93. ISBN 978-1-60901-856-6.