This is a list of freshwater ecoregions as compiled by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). The freshwater ecoregion system is similar to that for terrestrial ecoregions. The Earth's land surface is divided into eight terrestrial biogeographic realms or ecozones, which contain hundreds of smaller ecoregions. Ecoregions are classified into biomes or major habitat types, which have similar climates and vegetation types. The freshwater system is similar, with ecoregions classified into freshwater realms and biomes.
Ecoregions are sorted by biome (major habitat type). The numbers are WWF's ecoregion codes.
- 559; Lake Malawi; (Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania)
- 565; Lake Rukwa; (Tanzania)
- 542; Lake Tanganyika; (Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Tanzania, Zambia)
- 530; Lake Turkana; (Kenya)
- 521; Lake Victoria Basin; (Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda)
Large river deltas
Temperate coastal rivers
Temperate upland rivers
- 575; Southern Temperate Highveld;
Tropical and subtropical coastal rivers
Tropical and subtropical floodplain rivers and wetland complexes
Tropical and subtropical upland rivers
Xeric freshwaters and endorheic (closed) basins