A rump steak being cooked on a griddle pan

Rump steak is a cut of beef. The rump is the division between the leg and the chine cut right through the aitch bone. It may refer to:

American and British equivalencies

The British and Commonwealth English "rump steak" is commonly called "sirloin" in American English. On the other hand, British "sirloin" is called short loin or "porterhouse" by Americans.[1]

British American

French usage

Rump steak corresponds roughly to the French cut culotte (literally 'britches').

The pointe de culotte, the rump cap is highly recommended for braising as bœuf à la mode.

In the 20th century the English term rump steak was adopted, although with modified orthography romsteak or romsteck.[2] The spelling rumsteak is also attested.[3]

See also


  1. ^ "Food and Cooking in American and British English", by Susan Stempleski, Medical Magazine, Macmillan Dictionaries, February 2004
  2. ^ Le Petit Robert Grand Format, Dictionnaire de la langue française, Dictionnaires Le Robert, Paris, June 1996, p. 2,551, hard cov., ISBN 2-85036-469-X, see page 1,997 (romsteak, romsteck) and page 2,011 (rumsteak, rumsteck)
  3. ^ Le Petit Larousse, Larouss, Paris, 1994