Map all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap
Download coordinates as: KML
The San Francisco Air Defense Sector (SFADS) is an inactive United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with the 28th Air Division, being stationed at Beale Air Force Base, California.
SFADS was established in February 1959 assuming control of former ADC Western Air Defense Force units in California west of the Sierra Nevada; north of Santa Barbara and south of Eureka. The organization provided command and control over several aircraft and radar squadrons.
On 1 December 1960 the new Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) Direction Center (DC-18) became operational. 39°06′35″N 121°23′49″W / 39.10972°N 121.39694°W DC-18 was equipped with dual AN/FSQ-7 Computers. The day-to-day operations of the command was to train and maintain tactical flying units flying jet interceptor aircraft (F-94 Starfire; F-102 Delta Dagger; F-106 Delta Dart); ( 2 F-101B Voodoo Squadrons) in a state of readiness with training missions and series of exercises with SAC and other units simulating interceptions of incoming enemy aircraft.
The Sector was inactivated on 1 August 1963 as part of an ADC consolidation and reorganization; and its units were assigned to 28th Air Division at Hamilton AFB.
- Established as San Francisco Air Defense Sector on 15 February 1959
- Inactivated on 1 August 1963
- Hamilton AFB, California, 1 July 1960-1 August 1963
- Travis AFB, California, 1 July 1960-1 August 1963
- Castle AFB, California, 1 July 1960-1 August 1963
(83 Fighter interceptor Squadron)
Hamilton AFB, Ca
(84th Fighter Interceptor Squadron)
Hamilton AFB, Ca
- Burns AFS, Oregon, 1 July 1960-1 September 1960
- Winnemucca AFS, Nevada, 1 July 1960-1 September 1961
- Mill Valley AFS, California, 1 July 1960-1 August 1963
- Mather AFB, California, 1 July 1960-1 September 1961
- Almaden AFS, California, 1 July 1960-1 August 1963
- Madera AFS, California, 1 July 1960-1 August 1963
- Point Arena AFS, California, 1 July 1960-1 August 1963
- Baker AFS, Oregon, 1 July-15 September 1960
- Fallon AFS, Nevada, 1 July-15 September 1960
- Tonopah AFS, Nevada, 1 July-15 September 1960
- ^ stationed @ SFADS 1959 to 1962
- ^ I was stationed there 1959 to 1962
This article incorporates public domain material from the Air Force Historical Research Agency website http://www.afhra.af.mil/.
- A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
- Winkler, David F. (1997), Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War defense radar program. Prepared for United States Air Force Headquarters Air Combat Command.
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947–1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.
- Radomes.org San Francisco Air Defense Sector