Telecommunications in the Falkland Islands includes radio, television, fixed and mobile telephones, and the Internet.
Radio and television
The Falkland Islands Radio Service (FIRS) operates a radio network in conjunction with the BBC World Service, while the British Forces Broadcasting Service (BFBS) operates three networks of its own. KTV Ltd. also operates two relay stations, KTV Radio Nova, a rebroadcast of BBC World Service, and KTV Radio Nova Saint FM, a rebroadcast of Saint FM.
Five channels are provided by BFBS: BBC One, BBC Two, ITV, Channel 4 and BFBS Extra for non-military audiences. Entitled personnel within British Forces South Atlantic can also receive Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2 and BFBS Sport.
A local subscription service, KTV carries satellite channels such as ESPN, Discovery, CNN International and Turner Classic Movies (from the United States) along with BBC World from the United Kingdom.
This article incorporates public domain material from the CIA World Factbook document: "2013 edition".
- ^ a b c d e f g h i "Communications: Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)", World Factbook, U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, 3 December 2013. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- ^ The British Forces Broadcasting Service (BFBS) has started a new contract to deliver television and radio programmes to the UK Armed Forces, Ministry of Defence, 2 April 2013
- ^ KTV Ltd.
- ^ Dialing Procedures (International Prefix, National (Trunk) Prefix and National (Significant) Number) (in Accordance with ITY-T Recommendation E.164 (11/2010)), Annex to ITU Operational Bulletin No. 994-15.XII.2011, International Telecommunication Union (ITU, Geneva), 15 December 2011. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- ^ a b Calculated using penetration rate and population data from "Countries and Areas Ranked by Population: 2012" Archived 2017-03-29 at the Wayback Machine, Population data, International Programs, U.S. Census Bureau, retrieved 26 June 2013
- ^ "Percentage of Individuals using the Internet 2000-2012", International Telecommunications Union (Geneva), June 2013, retrieved 22 June 2013
- ^ "Fixed (wired)-broadband subscriptions per 100 inhabitants 2012", Dynamic Report, ITU ITC EYE, International Telecommunication Union. Retrieved on 29 June 2013.
- ^ "Active mobile-broadband subscriptions per 100 inhabitants 2012", Dynamic Report, ITU ITC EYE, International Telecommunication Union. Retrieved on 29 June 2013.
- ^ a b Sure Falkland Islands History, Sure South Atlantic. Retrieved 5 January 2014.