|Broadcast area||Worldwide (except North Korea)|
|Picture format||1080i 16:9 (HDTV)|
|Owner||Government of Japan|
|Launched||1 April 1998|
|Former names||NHK World|
|Website||NHK WORLD - JAPAN|
|Digital terrestrial television|
|Hot Bird 13°E in Europe||11373 H / 27500 / 3/4 HD|
|DirecTV (United States)||322|
|Zuku TV (Kenya)||Channel 570|
|NHK World-Japan||Watch live (available worldwide)|
|NHK World Radio Japan||Listen live (available worldwide)|
NHK World-Japan (also known simply as NHK World) is the international arm of the Japanese state-controlled public broadcaster NHK. Its services are aimed at the overseas market, similar to those offered by other national public-service broadcasters such as the British BBC (BBC World Service, BBC World News, etc.), France 24 or the German DW, among many others. Contents are broadcast through shortwave radio, satellite and cable operators throughout the world, as well as online and through its mobile apps. It is headquartered in Tokyo.
NHK World-Japan currently provides three main broadcast services: an English-language current affairs TV channel of the same name, a multilingual radio service (NHK World Radio Japan), and a Japanese-language general/entertainment TV service (NHK World Premium). NHK World-Japan also makes most of its programming available through its website (either live or on demand). A Chinese version of the news TV channel, NHK华语视界 (NHK Huayu Shijie), which essentially provides news and select programs from NHK World-Japan in Mandarin dubbing and/or subtitles, was launched on 15 January 2019 and is only distributed online.
The branch was rebranded from its former name of NHK World in April 2018.
NHK began international TV broadcasting services for North America and Europe in 1995. On April 1, 1998, then-called NHK World Television started broadcasting. Today's NHK World-Japan is a current affairs and cultural channel that broadcasts internationally via satellite and cable TV. Programming is produced in English only. It began as a news channel in February 2009. NHK World-Japan's free-to-air broadcasts have been available in HD by satellite since then.
NHK World-Japan HD currently broadcasts from Intelsat 19 166°E, 68.5°E, Astra 19.2°E, Hot Bird 13°E, 58°W, to SES S.A. 3 103°W. Some of the shows are produced by production studio JIB TV, which is 60% owned by NHK, with the remaining 40% owned by private investors like Microsoft and Japanese bank Mizuho. The "NHK World-Japan" DOG logo is not used at all when shows produced by JIB TV are aired as a paid programming.
NHK World Premium broadcasts a mixture of news, sports and entertainment in Japanese language worldwide, via satellite and cable providers, as a subscription service mostly targeted at Japanese expatriates.
It is marketed with that very name in several regions of the world, including Asia, Oceania and Latin America. In Europe, NHK World Premium's contents are shown instead on JSTV-branded subscription channels run by NHK Cosmomedia Europe and headquartered in the UK. The service is known as テレビジャパン (TV Japan) in the US, which is run by NHK Cosmomedia America. Contents generally do not carry English subtitles.
TV programs by NHK shown on its international outlets include:
NHK World Radio Japan (RJ) is the international radio arm of NHK. It broadcasts a weekly lineup of news, current affairs, cultural and educative radio program focusing on Japan and Asia, for a daily total of 65 hours of broadcasts.
Radio Japan provides two main feeds:
NHK World Radio Japan runs a domestic SW relay station on 9750 kHz from 8:00 to 16:00 UTC:
It also leases some hours by several external relay stations for English service in:
NHK WORLD-JAPAN broadcasts via C-band and Ku-band satellites around the globe.
The programs and content are also available online.
Only a limited number of programs are available online for free.