Subject area: East Germany: Portal
| Project pages
| Our best | Category
The East Germany Portal
"Gruß" and welcome!
The East Germany portal offers an overview of the most important and newest articles on the subject of East Germany
, the former Communist state officially known as the German Democratic Republic
The portal contains links to a cross-section of articles from the areas of history and politics, geography and economy, art and culture, and some of the important personalities from the region.
East Germany, officially the German Democratic Republic (GDR; German: Deutsche Demokratische Republik, pronounced [ˈdɔʏtʃə demoˈkʁaːtɪʃə ʁepuˈbliːk] (listen), DDR, pronounced [ˌdeːdeːˈʔɛʁ] (listen)), was a country that existed from 1949 to 1990, the period when the eastern portion of Germany was part of the Eastern Bloc during the Cold War. Commonly described as a communist state in English usage, it described itself as a socialist "workers' and peasants' state". It consisted of territory that was administered and occupied by Soviet forces following the end of World War II—the Soviet occupation zone of the Potsdam Agreement, bounded on the east by the Oder–Neisse line. The Soviet zone surrounded West Berlin but did not include it and West Berlin remained outside the jurisdiction of the GDR.
The GDR was established in the Soviet zone while the Federal Republic of Germany, commonly referred to as West Germany, was established in the three western zones. A satellite state of the Soviet Union, Soviet occupation authorities began transferring administrative responsibility to German communist leaders in 1948 and the GDR began to function as a state on 7 October 1949. However, Soviet forces remained in the country throughout the Cold War. Until 1989, the GDR was governed by the Socialist Unity Party of Germany (SED), although other parties nominally participated in its alliance organization, the National Front of the German Democratic Republic. The SED made the teaching of Marxism–Leninism and the Russian language compulsory in schools. (Full article...)
Selected article -
History, politics and religion
Education, culture and sport
The following are images from various East Germany-related articles on Wikipedia.
Statues of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels in the Marx-Engels-Forum, Berlin
Prager Straße in Dresden in 1972
Logo for the 40th anniversary of the German Democratic Republic in 1989.
Inter-German Border Strip at the Berlin Wall
Map showing the different borders and territories of Poland and Germany during the 20th century, with the current areas of Germany and Poland in dark gray
Economic activity in the GDR.
East German leaflet, fired across the inner German border.
Did you know?
The following are wanted articles, related to East Germany, that exist on German Wikipedia, or are otherwise wanted.
- Waterbodies: Borna Reservoir
- Islands, etc.: Island of Youth – Spree Island – Friendship Island
- History: Neuerer – Messe der Meister von Morgen – Frida Hockauf Method – Bückware – Commercial Coordination (Kommerzielle Koordinierung) – State Planning Commission (East Germany) – Non-socialist Economic Region – Prisoner ransom (Häftlingsfreikauf) – Personal identity number (East Germany) (Personenkennzahl) – Hausbuch – Travel application (Ausreiseantrag)
- Culture: P. Abraham – Boll - East German cinema - Franz – Hahnemann – Jankofsky – E. Köhler - Palitzsch – Quermann – Stengel
- Literature: – East German Science Fiction - East German socialist realism
- Language: – Language usage in the GDR
- Art: – Olympic Games on stamps of the GDR Deutsche Post
- Architecture: GDR College of Construction Engineering – Architecture in the German Democratic Republic
- Music: Committee for the Art of Conversation – Anstalt zur Wahrung der Aufführungs- und Vervielfältigungsrechte auf dem Gebiet der Musik – Performance licence – Michael Rauhut
- GDR border: GDR visa warrant (Berechtigungsschein zum Empfang eines Visums der DDR) – Border regime (Grenzregime) – Pass agreeement (Passierscheinabkommen) – Transit traffic – Victims of the Berlin Wall – Operation Vermin (Aktion Ungeziefer)
- Border crossing victims: Göring – Huhn
- Die Wende: de Maizière government – Cost of German Unity
- Politics: – Party secretary (East Germany) – Bezirkstag
- Mass organisations: Association of Sport and Technology – Chamber of Technology
- Armed bodies: Community policeman (Abschnittsbevollmächtigter) – NVA oath of allegiance (Fahneneid) – Schwedt Military Gaol – State Secretariat for State Security
- Other orders: Order of Fatherland Service
- Religion: Christians and the church in the GDR – Federation of Evangelical churches in the GDR – Evangelical State Church of Silesian Upper Lusatia – Evangelical-Lutheran State Church of Saxony – Federation of Evangelical-Free Church Parishes in the GDR
- Education and science: Science and technology in the GDR – Central Institute for Youth Research – School flag ceremony – Workers and Farmers Faculty – Multi-spectral camera – Arbeiterstudium
- Places of interest:– Kyffhausen Imperial Castle – Wiprecht Castle, Groitzsch
- Museums: Bell and Town Museum, Apolda
- Sport: BSG KKW Greifswald – Ice hockey – Gymnastic and sports festivals in the GDR – DDR-Rundfahrt
- People: Axen – Bentzien – Böhm – Gießmann – Herrmann – Heusinger – H.-J. Hoffmann – Lietz – Luft – Warnke – H. Wolf – Ziller
- Opposition: Weiß
- Scientists: Dathe – Gossweiler – Moritz Mebel
- Sport:Geißler – Reich – Schäffner – Schnieke
- Finance: Commemorative coins of the GDR
- Cuisine: Filinchen – Nordhäuser Doppelkorn
- Media: Tageszeitungen – – National-Zeitung – Tribüne – Die Union – Märkische Oderzeitung – Das Magazin – Eulenspiegel – FF-Dabei – Neue Berliner Illustrierte – Atze – Trommel – Bummi – Westfernsehen – Herr Fuchs und Frau Elster – Glück muß man haben – Willi Schwabes Rumpelkammer - Nationales Spielfilm-Festival – Stimme der DDR – Berliner Welle – Sport aktuell (DDR)
- Postal: East German postage stamps
- Justice:Labour law (East Germany) – Employment law (East Germany) – Family law (East Germany) – Judicial system of East Germany – Criminal law (East Germany) – Waldheim Trials – Civil law (East Germany) – Waldheim Gaol
- Transport: Firefighting vehicles of the GDR – L60 – MZ TS motorcycle – Simson S70 – Roads in the GDR – W50
- Economy: EAW Berlin – Einzelhandelsverkaufspreis – Konsum (East Germany) – Consumer goods production in the GDR – List of East German products – Malimo – NARVA – Produktionsgenossenschaft des Handwerks (PGH) – SERO – SKET – Vereinigung Organisationseigener Betriebe (VOB) – Wolfen Film Company –