Violinist A. Kanyakumari
|Origin||Vijayanagaram, Andhra Pradesh|
Avasarala Kanyakumari is a violinist from South India who specializes in Carnatic music.
Kanyakumari is a native of Vijayanagaram, Andhra Pradesh and has lived in Chennai for more than five decades.
Awards and honours
A Kanyakumari was awarded the Sangeetha Kalanidhi award of the Madras Music Academy for the year 2016. She is the first female violinist to get the award.
Other awards include
- Padma Shri by Government of India (2015)
- Sangita Kalanidhi from the Music Academy, Chennai (2016)
- Kalaimamani from Govt. of Tamil Nadu
- Ugadi Puraskar from Govt. of Andhra Pradesh
- Top Rank by A.I.R
- Honorary citizenship of the state of Maryland, U.S
- TTK Award from the Music Academy, Chennai
- Asthana Viidushi of Sringeri Sarada Peetam, Ahobila Mutt and Avadhoota Peetam
- "Saptagiri sangeetha vidwanmani from Sri Tyagaraja Festival Committee of Tirupathi.
- Dhanurveena Praveena, a title bestowed on her by M.S. Subbulakshmi, commemorating Kanyakumari's 25 years in concerts
- Sangeeta Kala Nipuna, from the Mylapore Fine Arts Club, 2002 
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, 2003
- Sangeetha Chudamani Award from Krishna Gana Sabha, 2012
She was selected for Limca Book of Records 2004 for her various achievements in music as a versatile woman violinist.