1966 VFL Grand Final


St Kilda
10.13 (73) 10.14 (74)
1 2 3 4
COLL 2.1 (13) 5.7 (37) 7.11 (53) 10.13 (73)
STK 2.5 (17) 5.6 (36) 8.9 (57) 10.14 (74)
Date24 September 1966
StadiumMelbourne Cricket Ground
UmpiresJeff Crouch
Jock McHale MedallistAllan Jeans
Broadcast in Australia
NetworkSeven Network
Commentators"Butch" Gale
Ted Whitten
Mike Williamson
← 1965 VFL Grand Final 1967 →

The 1966 VFL Grand Final was an Australian rules football game contested between the Collingwood Football Club and St Kilda Football Club, held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne on 24 September 1966. It was the 69th annual grand final of the Victorian Football League (VFL), staged to determine the premiers for the 1966 VFL season. The match, attended by 101,655 spectators,[1] was won by St Kilda by a margin of one point, marking that club's first and only premiership victory to date.


Main article: 1966 VFL season

Both St Kilda and Collingwood were coming off consecutive VFL Grand final defeats: the Magpies in 1964 against Melbourne and the Saints after losing the previous year to Essendon. In a thrilling finish to the home-and-away season, Collingwood finished minor premiers after easily beating Footscray at Victoria Park, while St Kilda, Geelong, Essendon and Richmond fought for the remaining three qualifying spots. St Kilda managed to hold on to second place in a thrilling contest against Hawthorn at Moorabbin, while Geelong and Essendon also won their games, which meant that Richmond would miss the finals despite its big win over Fitzroy.


St Kilda
St Kilda
B: 01 Rodger Head 06 Bob Murray 13 Brian Sierakowski
HB: 16 Verdun Howell 09 Ian Synman 24 John Bingley
C: 36 Jeff Moran 05 Ian Stewart 21 Jim Read
HF: 15 Ian Cooper 04 Darrel Baldock (c) 27 Barry Breen
F: 08 Alan Morrow 18 Kevin Neale 19 Allan Davis
Foll: 02 Brian Mynott 25 Daryl Griffiths 03 Ross Smith
Res: 31 Travis Payze 22 Kevin Billing
Coach: Allan Jeans
B: 35 Ian Montgomery 08 Peter Boyne 05 Terry Waters
HB: 13 Laurie Hill 15 Ted Potter 33 Lee Adamson
C: 17 Peter Patterson 09 Colin Tully 12 Errol Hutchesson
HF: 01 Des Tuddenham (c) 16 Doug Searl 21 Max Pitt
F: 03 Ray Gabelich 07 Ian Graham 36 Gary Wallis
Foll: 28 Len Thompson 29 Kevin Rose 18 Wayne Richardson
Res: 02 Trevor Steer 04 John Henderson
Coach: Bob Rose

Umpire – Jeff Crouch

Match summary

Twenty-five minutes into the final quarter and with scores level, Collingwood's Wayne Richardson had a shot at goal on the run but kicked it out of bounds on the full. St Kilda then began to work the ball out of defence after winning the boundary throw-in. A kick from Ian Cooper saw the ball make its way to centre half-forward. Collingwood defender Ted Potter failed to mark the ball low down, and with the players scrummaging for the ball, a bounce was called. Brian Mynott won the tap for the Saints, but it was intercepted by Potter, who was quickly tackled. Potter, however, managed to get out a handball, but it found its way to St Kilda's Barry Breen, who snapped at goal and kicked a behind to put his side in front. With about a minute left on the clock, Collingwood were able to work the ball towards their forward line. St Kilda's Bob Murray, however, was able to take a mark at centre half-back, and the siren sounded after he kicked the ball towards the wing.

One of the timekeepers was an avid St Kilda fan and blew the final siren for more than ten seconds.[2]


1966 VFL Grand Final
Saturday, 24 September 2:50pm Collingwood def. by St Kilda MCG (crowd: 101,655)
2.1 (13)
5.7 (37)
7.11 (53)
 10.13 (73)
2.5 (17)
5.6 (36)
8.9 (57)
 10.14 (74)
Umpires: Crouch
Television broadcast: Seven Network
Tuddenham 3
Gabelich, Richardson 2
Graham, Pitt, Wallis 1
Goals 5 Neale
2 Baldock
1 Cooper, Griffiths, Moran
Waters, Richardson, Thompson, Patterson, Pitt, Tuddenham Best Cooper, Stewart, Sierakowski, Griffiths, Breen, Morrow, Neale


  1. ^ "Australian Football - Saints make their point - 1966 VFL Grand Final".
  2. ^ Jim Main, Aussie Rules for dummies (2nd edition, 2008) p 20.

See also