1952 VFL Grand Final


13.8 (86) 5.10 (40)
1 2 3 4
GEE 4.2 (26) 5.3 (33) 11.6 (72) 13.8 (86)
COL 1.1 (7) 3.3 (21) 5.3 (33) 5.10 (40)
Date27 September 1952
StadiumMelbourne Cricket Ground
← 1951 VFL Grand Final 1953 →

The 1952 VFL Grand Final was an Australian rules football game contested between the Geelong Football Club and Collingwood Football Club, held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on 27 September 1952. It was the 55th annual Grand Final of the Victorian Football League, staged to determine the premiers for the 1952 VFL season. The match, attended by 81,304 spectators, was won by Geelong by 46 points, marking that club's fifth premiership victory and second in succession.


B: Bernie Smith Bruce Morrison Norm Sharp
HB: Russell Middlemiss John Hyde Geoff Williams
C: Bert Worner Doug Palmer Terry Fulton
HF: Bob Davis Fred Flanagan (c) Leo Turner
F: Jim Norman George Goninon Peter Pianto
Foll: Bill McMaster Russell Renfrey Neil Trezise
Res: Sid Smith Ron Hovey
Coach: Reg Hickey
B: George Hams Keith Batchelor Bill Rose
HB: Les Smith Jack Finck Frank Tuck
C: Thorold Merrett Bill Twomey, Jr. Des Healey
HF: Jack Hickey Maurie Dunstan Bob Rose
F: Jack Parker Harvey Stevens Neil Mann
Foll: Mick Twomey Arthur Gooch Lou Richards (c)
Res: Ron Kingston Ken Aitken
Coach: Phonse Kyne

Umpire - James Jamieson

The game

Geelong entered the game as the hottest favourites in many a year. The Cats were in the middle of their record winning run and had thrashed Collingwood in the Second Semi final. Collingwood entered the grand final with two changes forced by injuries to Lucas and Pat Twomey. In to the side was Les Smith, Harvey Stevens and Keith Batchelor who made his debut at full back.

1st quarter

Collingwood got the first goal of the game from a drop kick from Thorold Merrett. Geelong then got in their stride and kicked the next four goals.

2nd quarter

Parker got Collingwood's only goal of the quarter and there vigor was having a negative effect of the Cats. Geelong finally got a goal in time on to go into the break with a twelve point lead.

3rd quarter

It took until the halfway mark of the third before Geelong finally decided enough was enough and in a blitz added five goals to finish the quarter with a 39 point lead.

4th quarter

With the game out of reach the Magpies attack constantly for little reward, seven behinds from their slow, lumbersome forwards. Geelong on the other hand eased off but still kicked two goals to defeat the Magpies by 46 points.



Team 1 Qtr 2 Qtr 3 Qtr Final
Geelong 4.2 (26) 5.3 (33) 11.6 (72) 13.8 (86)
Collingwood 1.1 (7) 3.3 (21) 5.3 (33) 5.10 (40)
Attendance: 82,890







See also