A vegetarian patty
prepared from crushed soybean
, avocado, tomato and beetroot.
This is a list of meat substitutes. A meat substitute, also called a meat analogue, approximates certain aesthetic qualities (primarily texture, flavor and appearance) or chemical characteristics of a specific meat. Substitutes are often based on soybeans (such as tofu and tempeh), gluten, or peas. Whole legumes are often used as a protein source in vegetarian dishes, but are not listed here.
Cubes of young green jackfruit pulp sold as a meat substitute
- Breadfruit – used similarly as jackfruit in savory dishes
- Coconut burger – made from sapal, the coconut pulp by-products of traditional coconut milk extraction in Filipino cuisine
- Eggplant – semitropical/tropical plant with a highly textured flesh
- Grapefruit – during the course of the Special Period economic crisis Cubans prepared steaks made out of breaded and fried grapefruit rind known as "bistec de toronja".
- Jackfruit – a fruit whose flesh has a similar texture to pulled pork when cooked