A 1954 Convention travel document issued in Germany in 2008
Australian Certificate of Identity, serves as a Stateless Travel Document

A 1954 Convention travel document is a travel document, unlike a Stateless travel document (stateless person by a signatory to the 1954 Convention Relating to the Status of Stateless Persons), issued to a person in circumstances of any difficulties in gaining a travel document from their country of origin.[1] The cover bears the words travel document in English and French (and often in the language of the issuing state) along with the date of the convention, but does not bear the two stripes appearing in the upper right corner of the front cover of refugee travel documents. However, some countries such as Australia and Japan issues stateless persons travel documents with other names such as Certificate of Identity or Re-entry Permit, etc., regardless of whether the country is a contracting state of 1954 Convention.[2][3]

See also


  1. ^ Blitz, Brad K.; Lynch, Maureen, eds. (June 2009). Statelessness and the Benefits of Citizenship: A Comparative Study (PDF). Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights and International Observatory on Statelessness. p. 27. ISBN 978-0-9563275-1-2. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-08. Retrieved 31 August 2011. [T]he Convention also provides for the issuance of travel documents, this time to stateless persons who are lawfully staying in the territory of a contracting state. The so-called Convention Travel Document (CTD) is designed to function in lieu of a passport—a document that is generally unavailable to stateless persons since it is usually issued by the country of nationality.
  2. ^ Non-citizen travel documents, Australian Passport Office
  3. ^ Application for re-entry permission, Immigration Services Agency of Japan